PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Radiator not pulling from reserve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2005, 08:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radiator not pulling from reserve

Newly purchased 2003 GT. After 5 trips back to the dealer and less than 40 days since puchase my pt is still overheating from lack of coolant in the radiator. Reserve stays full and the first time I took it the radiator was bone dry. Add about half a gallon every other day or approx 80 - 100 miles mostly city in sunny florida where the afternoon temp is mid 80's in afternoons. Dealership has flushed the system twice, changed thermistat, ofcourse refilled the radiator the first time and charged me for the second flush and stated that it's been after 30 days from purchase. The fan is running and seems louder than normal auto's but is turning. No white smoke or water in oil. Any suggestions???
Old 18 Oct 2005, 08:26 pm
Young Cruiser

Are you sure whether the radiator cap has been replaced? The cap is the device that allows coolant to be sucked into the radiator from the overflow reservoir as the engine cools. If that's not it, then have the dealer put a light vacuum on the cooling system. It's possible(although remotely) that the cooling system could have a leak that allows air in, but blocks coolant from escaping. Have you noticed if the volume in your overflow reservoir actually increases?
Try to follow the KISS method as you figure this out (Keep It Simple Stupid)!
Old 18 Oct 2005, 10:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info. The reserve does increase, it's to the bottom of the neck while sitting cooled off. Cap hadn't been replaced since I've purchased the vehicle from a Chysler dealership. All that's been done is two flushes, the thermostat replaced, and pressure test. Not sure this is anything but the last time I checked the radiator after the last flush and pressure test I got bubbles in the reserve as soon as I turned the cap to vent it before checking the fluids, engine wasn't hot nor cold at the time.[:I]
MODS:dual ram-air hood, flames, carbon fiber interior kit,dvd nav tv tuner 7\"touchscreen, Fosgate 4 channel amp, 12\" dual subs with LED box, mb-quart modual speakers, windshild visor, leather racing seats, Goldline springs 3\"drop, Tokico shocks, BOV, C.F. tail lights, and more. Need to install xeon side skirts, rocker pod guages.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 12:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

If it passed the pressure test (did NOT leak down), change the cap.
I'd also ask to speak to the manager about the service. If you had a warranty issue and they did not fix the problem, the time limit doesn't stop.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 19 Oct 2005, 01:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EJIII

Are you sure whether the radiator cap has been replaced? The cap is the device that allows coolant to be sucked into the radiator from the overflow reservoir as the engine cools. If that's not it, then have the dealer put a light vacuum on the cooling system. It's possible(although remotely) that the cooling system could have a leak that allows air in, but blocks coolant from escaping. Have you noticed if the volume in your overflow reservoir actually increases?
Try to follow the KISS method as you figure this out (Keep It Simple Stupid)!
My vote, too.
Only other item would be water pump - with engine cold, start engine with cap off and look into radiator - should see water flowing in radiator.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Oct 2005, 10:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Hotrod, the bubbles you noticed are normal for a slightly warm engine. As long as there is pressure in the cooling system when you remove the cap, you'll get some transfer from the radiator to the overflow tank, whether it's air or coolant. Let us know whether a new cap helps. I've got some more suggestions, but need to follow my own advice(KISS)!