PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 Pt Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Oct 2005, 02:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to cashforyou
Default 2002 Pt Cruiser

I too just bought a used PT Cruiser. I have wanted one ever since I saw the first one back in 1999 or 2000. I have had VW Bugs and Loved being in the gang. But I bought this cruiser on 9/1/05 and on the 2nd it started overheating. At first I could turn off the air, and speed up a little and the overheating would drop back down. Then it started happening every time I stopped at a signal but once I started moving again it would drop back to normal. I took it back to the dealer and they said I needed a thermostat because someone had removed it from my car. So we left with our new thermostat and drove about 3 miles when the car completely overheated. Took it back and they said they would check it out and see what the problem was. It turned out to be the engine water temp sensor and they changed it, we left once again and made it all the way home, about 5 miles before the car dumped all of it's water in our driveway. We waited over the long week end and went back to the dealer and they were out of business. I am now told I need a head gasket and it will be about 1200.00 to repair. They said as long as we had the engine apart we might as will do the timing belt and water pump as well. I made the terrible decision to remove the thermostat and drive the car to the market. On the way back home it started misfiring and I now have P0300 and P1684 on the panel. I need someone to give me some idea as to what I need to do. I just made the 1st payment on a 12,000.00 paper weight. We have no money and cannot afford to put the car in the shop. Any suggestions would be beneficial at this point. I love that car and I really want it but I need it to run.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 02:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt

Can anybody say the word "lemon"? You got everyones worst fear of buying a used car, you get it home and it is a paperweight now right?The best I can offer is that you go check into independent mechanics........
Old 26 Oct 2005, 01:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CruiserDan

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thegoldpt

Can anybody say the word "lemon"? You got everyones worst fear of buying a used car, you get it home and it is a paperweight now right?The best I can offer is that you go check into independent mechanics........
If you drove the car without a thermostat and broke it it's not a lemon. If the headgasket has blown, nothin to do but replace it. Im assuming its quite a few flate rate hours to do and they were right because timing belt and water pump are customary to be changed when u have a head off the car. unless its all brand new, but in your case it isnt.

probably your best bet is find a small garage or take it to a highschool or votech or even a college with an auto program and they can fix it for you.

<font color=\"blue\">Patriot Blue</font id=\"blue\"> 02 5-Spd
Old 28 Oct 2005, 12:16 am
Cool Cruiser

We waited over the long week end and went back to the dealer and they were out of business.
[xx(][xx(][xx(]!!!!!!!

I'd contact the state attorney and see if they can prosecute to get the money back!

Even an "as is" car has some customer protection laws.

GRRRRRRR!
Blanes HoodStruts
etc.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 12:34 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zzzhuh
Even an "as is" car has some customer protection laws.
No they don't. As per federal law....
AS IS" -- the vehicle does not have a warranty and the seller is under no obligation for repairs.

I used to sell used cars. You have to have the sticker on the window of the car clearly displaying that the car either has or doesnt have a warranty.

Now they CAN NOT lie to you about the condition of a vehicle, BUT that is very hard to prove on older used vehicles. If they intentionally lie to you( they don't have to say a word, but if asked they have to tell you the truth) that is illegal.But ofcousre it has to be in writing. If they tell you somethign & then it turns out they were wrong & you don't have proof other than.."well they told me". You are up ****s creek.

Once you buy a car AS IS..it means exactly that AS IS.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 12:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

talk to a lawyer, mabye other people have had problems with this car place?? just a thought
Old 28 Oct 2005, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

From experience, if you take thermostat out, it can't cause overheating, in fact, if all else is okay, the car will never warm up.
You apparently do have a blown head gasket. You don't say how many miles, but if it isn't way over 50,000, I can't see need for water pump and timing belt.
Get a second opinion for head gasket.
Suspect misfiring will disappear with fixed head gasket.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Nov 2005, 05:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to cashforyou

Thank you for all of the replys I am happy to say that I did find out that in Arizona the dealer must guarantee a used car for 15 days or 500 miles which ever is less. Well anyway the dealer had moved to another city here in Az and we located them and they have put the car in the shop. A shop of our choosing. Thank goodness we did not have to use their mechanic because I don't trust them anymore. I have 53,000 miles on the PT and it has the head gasket problem because the previous owner used an incorrect antifreeze. It was not the correct color and something in it ate the gaskets. The mechanic said that he has not seen a trend with these cars having this kind of problem. I contacted the previos owner and she said when she traded the car she had told the dealership that it was overheating and they assured her it would be repaired before resale. Huh. I will let you know how it all turns out soon. I had read such great things about this little car I am just so upset that I got one that was not taken care of. She had done only 3 oil changes in 53,000 miles. Hard to believe you would pay so much for something and not take care of it.