PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fog Lamps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2005, 01:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt
Default Fog Lamps?

I was thinking about getting some fog lamps on my cruiser, but i wanted to know where was the best place to get a kit for it? I need to check the moss motors catalog, to see what they run. And how much would it run me to have them installed..? Thanks
Old 27 Oct 2005, 09:04 am
Young Cruiser

EBay!
Old 27 Oct 2005, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You'll need a new multi-function switch if you want them to be turned on like stock. Many have found that the wiring harness was in place - good place to start - see if wires are there.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Oct 2005, 12:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

My PT was a base model; depending on the 27F or 28D, or some code like that, will determine whether or not the harness is fully installed. I had the foglamp plugs behind the wheel well liner, but the wiring terminated somewhere in the bundle and never made it to the fuse box or plug behind the steering wheel. Check behind the blank covers for the plugs for the lights. Also, you'll need to check the fuse box (I forget which fuse) to see if the fog lamp wiring is in place. If it is, it should only take you about 20 minutes to install the entire kit (including replacing the multifunction switch).

I had to install the entire set - actually my dad did it while I was running errands since my hands are too big to fit into the tight areas required to run the cable into the engine compartment.

The initial wiring is fairly easy but getting the wires into the engine compartment is a pain in the butt. Once that's done, though, it's fairly easy to finish.

Oh, yeah, one more thing - the fuse switch for the turn signals is on the back of the existing multi-function switch. You'll need to unplug it from there (three prongs, if I recall) and put it onto the new switch for your turn signals to work properly.

I believe kits run anywhere from $125 - $150 on Ebay and $150 from Wyckoff Chrysler, plus shipping charges.

2003 Classic Edition, 5-speed with 7-ball shift knob, badges removed, dark tint, Borla split exit exhaust, short billett antenna, Nu-Image white-faced blue flamed gauges and 15\" American Racing Aero Wheels.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 03:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I checked with my dealer for total price installed on my '02, they quoted me $350.00. Got mine from Wykoff and did it myself.

PTRobert gives you added instructions that was not included in the instructions that came from the kit.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 11:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt

Thanks guys! I will be printing this and i will keep it in mind. I may go with the dealer, or read up and do it my self.
Old 06 Nov 2005, 02:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have read where several people are having trouble with the fog lights and the multi-function switch.

I bought my fog lights off of e-bay and plan to run new wires and put toggle switches where the silly coin holders are.

How do I remove the “blanks” that occupy the space where the fog lights go? I’m sure that I’m going to have to jack the car up, remove the tire and inner finder. Am I correct or is there an easier way.

By the way does anyone else think that having to take off the tire to replace a halogen bulb in the headlight something that is reminiscent of some of the silly engineering ideas that GM had in the ‘70s?
[8]
Old 06 Nov 2005, 08:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by philpatton

I have read where several people are having trouble with the fog lights and the multi-function switch.

I bought my fog lights off of e-bay and plan to run new wires and put toggle switches where the silly coin holders are.

How do I remove the “blanks” that occupy the space where the fog lights go? I’m sure that I’m going to have to jack the car up, remove the tire and inner finder. Am I correct or is there an easier way. Use ramps to raise the front end. You should be able to remove the blanks as I think only a screw holds them in. The only thing that gave me a problem was running the wires thru the fire wall. I removed the clutch plate and drilled a hole thru it, it also helps IT you have small hands as I couldn't do it, my wifes hands were able to hold it while I tightended the nuts. I made sure that I used a tube of sealant to close the hole and give it some support, )I used silicone sealant) The other thing to watch it replacing the flasher control from old MF switch to the new one.

By the way does anyone else think that having to take off the tire to replace a halogen bulb in the headlight something that is reminiscent of some of the silly engineering ideas that GM had in the ‘70s?
[8]

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 07 Nov 2005, 02:22 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Unless you really want the OEM fog lights, I would suggest looking at some aftermarket fog lamps and install them in the same place. Just need to find a space for the switch. A pair of Hella Micro DE Fog Lamps runs about $140.

[8)]