Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power Seat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2005, 09:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Power Seat?

Has anyone had any luck with adding a six-way power seat mechanism to a 2003 GT Cruiser? I appreciate the power up and down, but would really like a real power seat without having to trade up to a 2006. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 11:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Haven't heard of anybody doing it - suspect it may be easier to get the entire seat - just check that base has same part #.[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Feb 2006, 11:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This is semi off-topic, but I have a 2006 Route 66 Pt Cruiser. It comes with a standard 8-way power seat. I am 6', 290# and I am having issues with the power seat being too high.

I had a 2004 Limited Edition PT that I traded in for this one. I did not have this problem with the 2004. My room mate just bought a 2005 Limited Edition Turbo Convertible. No problem in this car either.

In my 2006 PT Street Cruiser, the seat sits high at the lowest setting and my head barely misses the top. When getting out, you have to "jump out" of the seat- this is for everyone- my friends, the dealer, my roommate, etc.

The molding that holds the pwer seat switch has broken from where you have to slide to get out. The General Manager of the dealership says it looks like it is a design flaw. They have replaced my molding twice now.

The design is different that previous years as it does not screw in with "screw-tubes" going deep into the seat well, but are attached with plastic tabs that fit into metal flanges that fit into rectangular holes in the seat well.

The tabs have either broken or the metal flanges do not grip the plastic tabs.

Has anyone else experienced this? I love my Route 66 and the fact I have the only Yellow PT Cruiser in the area. PT Cruisers are the best!!!

[?]Hook 'em Horns!
Old 12 Feb 2006, 04:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

TxSaintBear...

It must be that the 8-way power mechanism takes extra room and causes the seat to set higher overall than the previous set-ups. You are a big boy so as you exit the seat the "new" design doesn't have enough cushion to keep your weight off the switch/molding.

In your case it might be best to take a step backwards to the older set-up and insist that Chrysler pay for it.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I think I forgot to mention that the Route 66 comes with a standard power moon roof. This takes some additional ceiling clearance out as well. I kinda got double gunned on this one. [B)]

I still love my PT and I wouldn't give it up. I will see if the will replace with a standard seat seeing as I have bought three from them in two years. (And sent a friend to buy as well.)

Hook 'em Horns! [?]

Old 13 Feb 2006, 10:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TxSaintBear

I think I forgot to mention that the Route 66 comes with a standard power moon roof. This takes some additional ceiling clearance out as well. I kinda got double gunned on this one. [B)]
I still love my PT and I wouldn't give it up. I will see if the will replace with a standard seat seeing as I have bought three from them in two years. (And sent a friend to buy as well.)
Hook 'em Horns! [?]
Yup. This is a recurring problem - 1) the power seat is a bit higher, even all the way down, and 2) The sunroof steals a bit at the top.
It's particularly bad if you like to sit upright - reclining a bit helps.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Feb 2006, 09:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had a 2006 rental (base) PT while my 04 GT was in the shop. I hated the seat, even without the power, it seemed higher, and the front of the seat bottom seemed higher than the rear. As for headroom, putting the seat-back down a notch seemed to help.

If you attempt a retro-seat fitting, to pre-06, let us know how it works out, I for one, would be very interested.

Good Luck!
SRG
Old 20 Feb 2006, 09:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to MDCruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SRG

I had a 2006 rental (base) PT while my 04 GT was in the shop. I hated the seat, even without the power
I got into the 06 Limited at the car show with the power seat, and found it very uncomfortable. For some reason, they made the side support on the bottom cushion too prominent for my tastes, so now it's uncomfortable. I've seen some used 05s on dealer lots, and they're the same way. Looks like if I ever replace my 03, I'd have to either get an 04 or else get an 05 and retrofit the seats (I also despise the styling of the 06s ).

03 Limited, Deep Cranberry with GT wheels