PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
supercharger belt replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Dec 2005, 10:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default supercharger belt replacement

Hello,
Can anyone tell me how you get to and replace the drive belt for a Whipple supercharger for a 2001 PT Cruiser. The belt has came off on mine and to this point no garage I been to wants to touch the project. As a result, I am going to tackle this issue myself over the weekend.

Also, once I get it off is it a standard part that can be picked up from one of the autoparts stores, or will I need to order direct from Whipple?

Thanks in advance for ANY help.
Ray

Old 01 Dec 2005, 11:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Did a quick search here but couldn't find anything, must have been on another forum. But if I remember correctly, a spacer needed to be added on the pully, it wasn't extended out far enough therefore the belt coming off. Just don't take what I say as the gospel, others will check in.
Old 01 Dec 2005, 12:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

I did some extinsive research before I bought my JR supercharger, and one common thing I found out about the whipple is that one of the belts kept coming off or would break completely. The now "newer" ones that are sold come with a different size belt from what I understand. I would definately call whipple industries and inquire about your belt problem. Seems like it is a common issue that was not fixed until the later supercharges were sold. Who knows, maybe they will even send you a free belt.

Old 01 Dec 2005, 04:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Ray: Whipple belt you can get at any parts store. I've never had a problem with my 2001, so I don't have a part# for you. Contact Mairer at PT Tuning or Vince at Whipple. Or if you have the old belt just copy the # off that. I'm sure you will have no problem getting one at napa, pep boys, auto zone, etc. Hope this helps & good luck. B.T.W. you can drive your car with the belt off & not damgage your pt or the S.C.
To Many Modifications, Trophies, Awards, to list. i.e. 2005 Cruiser Quarterly Spring Issue Cover Feature. 2007-2004 Chrysler Custom Modified Vehicle Award Winner SEMA/NACE/C.E.S./World Of Wheels/ISCA/NCCA. 2003 Top Ten Chrysler PT Cruiser Custom Court Show Runner Up.
www.cardomain.com/ride/450026
Old 05 Dec 2005, 01:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

For your awareness, Whipple now sells a "front plate upgrade kit" for their PT Cruiser Superchargers. Obviously, many owners complained about repeatedly "blowing belts" so Whipple had to correct an orginal design flaw. The upgrade kit sells for approximately $375, includes, new idler arm, pulleys, belt (Gates KO40250), motor mounts, etc. The blower belt now travels over two pulleys instead of one. Problem solved...no more chewed-up belts!!!
Changing a blown belt is no fun. You have to remove the front wheel, remove the fender liner and the head light to get at the supercharger belt. Patience worked real good for me.

This qute was originaly from "PTPink" This should help.