Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stagered wheel sizes 18 to 20.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2005, 05:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Stagered wheel sizes 18 to 20.....

Okay, many of the PT owners I've seen have done the "Stagered" wheel and tire combos. With 18"s in the front and 20"s in the rear. Yes it looks VERY COOL! But is it practicle? Reason I'm asking is because no one has said anything about tire rotation? Even if you flip just your front tires around every 3 to 6,000 miles there is still the problem of the tires being "directional". Most low profile tires are directional and should not have the tred driven in the oposite direction. I guess once PT owners do the stagered wheels, they can no longer rotate their tires front to back, so my question also is how long do your front tires last? Seems like it would be very costly (on tires) in the long run.
Old 05 Dec 2005, 08:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

I bought my last set of tires @ Sears & won't go back there even for a free rotation. I plan on burning off the fronts, moving the backs to the front & putting 2 new taller tires on the rear. My smoothies are 16" & I have rear drums.

Old 07 Dec 2005, 07:08 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to StOnEwHitePt

I have 18's in the front and 20's in the rear. I only have them on in the summer time and take them off for winter. I have used my wheels for 2 summers including this summer that has just passed and all of my tires are wearing evenly. I didnt rotate them at all and I have No uneven wear or nothing. As far as tread directions go, My tires can go either direction(they are unidirectional). I have the TOYO Proxes 4 tire and this is a great tire with superb grip, STYLISH TREAD, even wear,and quality. No problems to this date. Actually, These low-profile tires that I have are rated All-season tires believe it or not, but I still dont run them in the winter time because of all the stupid salt on the streets.

Appearance

• Aggressive unidirectional tread design.
• Unique "W-shape" tread pattern.
• Modern high-image sidewall design.
• Unique "4" logo on tread elements.

Wet and Dry Handling Compound
• "Generation S" silica-reinforced, high-grip tread compound.
• Unidirectional tread design High angle tread grooves to evacuate water.
• Paired shoulder blocks to increase cornering grip.
• Curving center rib to enhance directional stability.

Steering Responce
• T-Mode Design Technology.
• Hard bead filler compound.
• Two full-width steel belts.
• High grip tread compound.

All-Season Traction
• Unidirectional all-season tread design.
• "Multi-Wave Sipes" in shoulder blocks.
• M&S rated.

Smooth, Quiet Ride
• "Multi-Wave Sipe" for reduced heel and toe wear.
• Variable-pitch block tread pattern.
• Jointless edge and cap ply construction.
• Jointless bead wire.

Durability and Tread Life
• "Generation S" silica reinforced tread compound.
• Two full-width steel belts.

UTQG
Tread
Trac
Temp
-AA
-A

The Proxes 4 is Toyo's new all-season ultra-high performance tire. It is designed primarily for plus-fitment applications on sport compact cars, sports sedans, and coupes.
2002 PT Cruiser Touring Edit.(Stone White)(148.2 DB) --Rear match Tinted front windows, 20\"+18\" Limited 800 rims+ Toyo proxes 4 tires;\'20\"\'Chrome DUB badges to clarify, 6000k Polarion HID kit, silverstar foglight bulbs, Carriage Works polished Billet grille, Mopar Chrome fuel door, APC Euro tails + clear reverse lenses+ strobes, headlight strobes, Streetglow G.S UB kit, Ps2,2 Clarion 5.8\" headrest monitors, navigation system, 2 12\" Infinity subs with 1000 Watt Kenwood Amp/custom box., and a Shorty antenna + Chrome base.
Old 07 Dec 2005, 02:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to EricPT18sssss

hows the ride on that 18 in front and 20 in back??...on my pt i have 18 x 8 in the front and 18 X 8.50 in the back wit a 1.50 drop in the front and a 1.25 drop in the back...i wanted to do that but they told me that the tires in the back would be rubbin on the wall
Old 07 Dec 2005, 03:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I was hoping someone would respond that used them all year round. I'm in Texas, and it doesn't realy snow here much. By the way, those are directional tires. Look at your side walls, there is a small arrow that is embosed/raised on them that points in the direction they are suposed to go. It's a comon mistake people make. Some people, even tire stores say it doesn't matter, but I beg the differ. The tred should only go one direction.
Old 07 Dec 2005, 06:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to StOnEwHitePt

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wicked_PT

Thanks for the info. I was hoping someone would respond that used them all year round. I'm in Texas, and it doesn't realy snow here much. By the way, those are directional tires. Look at your side walls, there is a small arrow that is embosed/raised on them that points in the direction they are suposed to go. It's a comon mistake people make. Some people, even tire stores say it doesn't matter, but I beg the differ. The tred should only go one direction.
well excuse me if I was wrong. They are all rotating in the right direction When they are on my pt. Like I said I dont rotate them and they are all wearing evenly anywayz.
Ericpt: It rides fair,worse than stock of course but It is so worth it for the custom look. If you go over the slightest bump in the road you will feel it hard on the inside especially in the back. I havent had any bent rims to date though, thank god. 20's in the rear are the perfect size for the wheel well, It fits in there perfectly. Your 20's in the rear would not rub though. They will tuck in if you lowered it like 2" and roll smoothly. It all depends on the offset of the 20 rim and the tire size you get. I have 245/35/20 which is enough rubber to cushion the rim and tuck in. You can get Nitto's 225/35/20 but I wouldnt recommend it cause of potholes, but you could really tuck in the rears with that size tire. And if you have disc brakes in the rear just forget getting 20s. You would put strain the traction control system very bad, better off which drum brakes if you got em.
2002 PT Cruiser Touring Edit.(Stone White)(148.2 DB) --Rear match Tinted front windows, 20\"+18\" Limited 800 rims+ Toyo proxes 4 tires;\'20\"\'Chrome DUB badges to clarify, 6000k Polarion HID kit, silverstar foglight bulbs, Carriage Works polished Billet grille, Mopar Chrome fuel door, APC Euro tails + clear reverse lenses+ strobes, headlight strobes, Streetglow G.S UB kit, Ps2,2 Clarion 5.8\" headrest monitors, navigation system, 2 12\" Infinity subs with 1000 Watt Kenwood Amp/custom box., and a Shorty antenna + Chrome base.