Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
V-6 All Wheel Drive Pt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2005, 03:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default V-6 All Wheel Drive Pt

Hi, I am looking to get some input on the interest of a V-6 Pt Cruiser. If it was possible what motor would you prefer, 3.0, 3.3, or 3.8. I am going to put together an AWD Cruiser here soon and will make a kit to make it easy to do. I thought I'd get some input on what would be the most popular motor to make the kit for. Let know your thoughts.
Old 07 Dec 2005, 03:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 340x

Hi, I am looking to get some input on the interest of a V-6 Pt Cruiser. If it was possible what motor would you prefer, 3.0, 3.3, or 3.8. I am going to put together an AWD Cruiser here soon and will make a kit to make it easy to do. I thought I'd get some input on what would be the most popular motor to make the kit for. Let know your thoughts.
It's been done before. I saw it in an older issue of PT Quarterly. It was a "Mothers" wax sponsored PT. I can't remember the issue. But it is posible. But way to expensive to buy and instal. Not many people are going to want it if they can just buy a PT Turbo. Best engine swap I ever saw on the PT was a viper engine. It was in an issue of MOPAR Magazine. If your interested, I can scan them and e-mail you both articles if you would like.
Old 07 Dec 2005, 04:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wicked_PT

It's been done before. I saw it in an older issue of PT Quarterly. It was a "Mothers" wax sponsored PT. I can't remember the issue. But it is posible. But way to expensive to buy and instal. Not many people are going to want it if they can just buy a PT Turbo. Best engine swap I ever saw on the PT was a viper engine. It was in an issue of MOPAR Magazine. If your interested, I can scan them and e-mail you both articles if you would like.
Don't think either of those was 4WD.

Gotta believe it'd be WAY too expensive. Why not a body kit for a Jeep Liberty to make it look like a PT?[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Dec 2005, 06:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wicked_PT

Don't think either of those was 4WD.

Gotta believe it'd be WAY too expensive. Why not a body kit for a Jeep Liberty to make it look like a PT?[:I]
OOooppsss! Yep, your right. Neither was 4WD. I believe AWD would be better. Like a WRX.

Here is an image of the PT that I saw with a viper engine. This would be cool to manufacture.
Old 07 Dec 2005, 09:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yeah, a V6 was done by mothers but that is the only one anybody really knows about. I am not doing it to be different. You can pick up a wrecked Caravan, or just the motor and trans for probably less than $2000. Just the motor and trans would be less than $1000. Add a $500 kit and have a Pt Cruiser that will get better mileage than the Turbo, and have close to the same power plus be a lot more drivable. The AWD is just for fun. I thought about really getting wild with it and doing the Stealth setup with the twin turbo but they are too rare and break too easily. I am going to do this to a hardtop. I have bigger plans for a convertible I have. I have the V10 but weight distribution is a mother then unless you put it in the trunk. And there isn't much of a trunk in a convertible. Even with the engine in the front the drive shaft would be almost non existant.
Old 08 Dec 2005, 10:50 am
Young Cruiser

Personally, I would prefer a lighter and more nimble PT rather than substituting a heavier drivetrain into an already tight engine compartment. Our other daily driver is a '97 AWD 3.8L V6 Town & Country minivan, and it's an excellent all-around all-weather vehicle that has averaged around 22-23mpg per tankful (real numbers from my gas log- not just relying on the on board display which is actually fairly accurate over the years.
At 4000lbs+ it is decidedly NOT sporty and fun to drive in the same way our 5-speed PTGT is, so different tools for different jobs, eh?

Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 13 Dec 2005, 04:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Or just wait for the new PT in '07 or '08. The "build & price" feature for the Dodge Caliber is operational and I'll bet that the options for the Caliber will be available for the PT to some extent.

http://www.dodge.com/caliber/index.html

Check it out here.

2003 Classic Edition, 5-speed with 7-ball shift knob, badges removed, dark tint, Borla split exit exhaust, short billett antenna, Nu-Image white-faced blue flamed gauges and 15\" American Racing Aero Wheels.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 08:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTRobert

Or just wait for the new PT in '07 or '08. The "build & price" feature for the Dodge Caliber is operational and I'll bet that the options for the Caliber will be available for the PT to some extent.

Check it out here.
That's not really "Build & Price". It is for survey purposes only. So they may or may not offer AWD.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Sweendog13

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Richard in Idaho

Quote:

Check it out here.
That's not really "Build & Price". It is for survey purposes only. So they may or may not offer AWD.
I work for DaimlerChrysler and 'finally' got some information on the Caliber... They 'will' be available in AWD in the R/T models. They'll also be released in some cool colors like Steel Blue, Solar Yellow, and Sunburst Orange to name the not so obvious.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 06:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Richard in Idaho

Quote:

Check it out here.
Skip the survey. They have a build and price feature available after you choose to skip it.

2003 Classic Edition, 5-speed with 7-ball shift knob, badges removed, dark tint, Borla split exit exhaust, short billett antenna, Nu-Image white-faced blue flamed gauges and 15\" American Racing Aero Wheels.