Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Buying A New Pt - Questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2005, 02:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Buying A New Pt - Questions...

We are looking at buying a new PT. I usually prefer to order a car exactly like I want, but if we could find a good enough deal on something close we may go that way, so an '05 is a possibility.

I'm leaning towards a Limited Turbo for the extra power, but haven't found anyone around with one to test drive and compare against the base engine. Any comments on this engine? The GT is out of our price range.

Any other comments/suggestions on 05 vs 06, or anything else relevant would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

---Bill Tuttle
Old 28 Dec 2005, 02:52 am
Cool Cruiser

I agree that factory order is best. Not only do you get exactly what you want, but you avoid what you don't want. Dealer add-ons like: pin striping, undercoating, fabric spray, etc. can add a thousand dollars.

But the differences in body style between an '05 and an '06 are substantial, so it depends on which you like better.

You might find a good deal on a new '05 (with less than a thousand dealer miles).

I also agree that a Limited Turbo is a good choice because it uses regular gas, and regular tires, while the GT uses premium gas and performance tires.

But even a base model is a great car. My sister has a non-turbo and it has pleanty of power. So don't buy a turbo just because of advertising (not even if the advertising comes from the folks here).

Good Luck!

[^]
Blanes HoodStruts
etc.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 03:38 am
Cool Cruiser

Most important, before you think of going 05 or 06 sit in both. There is a big difference in the interiors. The 06 has a redesigned seat, dashboard and center console, as well as a hidious "lip" that they call a spoiler. I've owned an 02 and an 04 GT, and rented an 06. Being 6'3" the center dash console on the 06 stuck out into my right ankle, while I reached for the gas pedal. Even with the steering wheel all the way up, that corner of the dash was on my ankle.

Needless to say, I personally dislike the new interiors and if I were looking to buy new, it would hopefully be an 05. You might fit in the car differently and might prefer the newer styling.

As far as the limited turbo, or "turbo lite" as some call it, I would think it would depend on how much power you want. If you don't have a lead foot, and don't always want jack-rabbit starts, the non-turbo is fine.

Good luck with you purchase,
SRG
Old 28 Dec 2005, 01:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

As stated, the 05s and 06s are a bit different. Every dealer should have both to look at and sit in.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 28 Dec 2005, 02:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SRG

Most important, before you think of going 05 or 06 sit in both. There is a big difference in the interiors. The 06 has a redesigned seat, dashboard and center console, as well as a hidious "lip" that they call a spoiler. I've owned an 02 and an 04 GT, and rented an 06. Being 6'3" the center dash console on the 06 stuck out into my right ankle, while I reached for the gas pedal. Even with the steering wheel all the way up, that corner of the dash was on my ankle.

Needless to say, I personally dislike the new interiors and if I were looking to buy new, it would hopefully be an 05. You might fit in the car differently and might prefer the newer styling.

As far as the limited turbo, or "turbo lite" as some call it, I would think it would depend on how much power you want. If you don't have a lead foot, and don't always want jack-rabbit starts, the non-turbo is fine.

Good luck with you purchase,
SRG
Having owned an 04' before my 06' I think the new interior is much better than the old one. I think it looks more upscale. Also, I like the "hidious lip" as you say on the back. I myself don't like flames on the side of the PT. To each their own. Good luck with whatever you buy.
Front lowered 1.5 inches, rear lowered 2.5 inches
Kenwood in dash CD/Sirius/Six Disk Changer
First of a few mods

2004 Mercury Marauder (Supercharged)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/bigslim2
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/484421
Old 28 Dec 2005, 04:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigslim
[brHaving owned an 04' before my 06' I think the new interior is much better than the old one. I think it looks more upscale. Also, I like the "hidious lip" as you say on the back. I myself don't like flames on the side of the PT. To each their own. Good luck with whatever you buy.
Slim, I'm really glad you like your new car, but it would have been pretty stupid to buy it if you didn't, wouldn't it? I'm also glad that you like the "hidious lip" too, I've run into a couple of 06 owners that are wondering if they can replace it with a "regular" spoiler from previous years.

If you are tall, (the "Big" in your signature?)how do you keep that console from rubbing your ankle?

SRG
Old 28 Dec 2005, 04:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome, Bill.
I ordered both my '02 and '05 PTs. My dealer offered a very good deal on a "leftover" '04 GT - but it was made about a year earlier, and I thought of all the startups and moves of 5 or 10 feet it must've gone thru in that year...
Definitely get the turbo lite - when you pass someone it's worth it. I'm getting even better mileage on my turbo than I got on my '02 without a turbo - but I am driving a bit easier with gas prices up...
I'm at about 25 MPG overall.
Even if you're ordering - hold out for a good deal - they're begging you to buy a car.... I paid a bit less for my '05 than I did for my '02 with the same options, but got the turbo Lite as a bonus!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Dec 2005, 06:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TurboCruiser13

Just wanted to mention something about what'cha said in your first post...the price comparo between turbo lite and GT. Yes, the GT can have a big difference in price than the lite, but for the price of a Stage 1 upgrade (bout 320 bucks) you can have more power than the GT has...food for thought. Also, I don't believe there's anything out there as far as turbo upgrades for the 06' but they're certainly out there for the 05s and older.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 08:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have a '06 Limited PT, with the Limited you get a "REAL" spoiler, the "lip" is on the base and touring models. I didn't care for the lip and wanted more protection. The Limited has side air bags. For me I never wanted the "turbo lite", as I had a '02 base with the NA and had all of the power I felt I needed. IF I would have went with a turbo it would have been a disaster 'cause I tend to have a heavy foot.[8)]

With the rebates etc. that the dealers are offering, be sure and check the bottom price on both the '05 & '06's. You are bound to find a price you can afford.

Good Luck!!!!
Old 28 Dec 2005, 09:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SRG

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigslim
[brHaving owned an 04' before my 06' I think the new interior is much better than the old one. I think it looks more upscale. Also, I like the "hidious lip" as you say on the back. I myself don't like flames on the side of the PT. To each their own. Good luck with whatever you buy.
Slim, I'm really glad you like your new car, but it would have been pretty stupid to buy it if you didn't, wouldn't it? I'm also glad that you like the "hidious lip" too, I've run into a couple of 06 owners that are wondering if they can replace it with a "regular" spoiler from previous years.

If you are tall, (the "Big" in your signature?)how do you keep that console from rubbing your ankle?

SRG
No problem. I was 60 pounds heavier so that is where the "big" comes in my name. At onetime I was thinking of changing the spoiler but I like the little one on it now. I have no problem with room in this car. I am about 5'9" and 240pds. Anyway, I can't wait to put my wheels on it and slam it next spring. Should be pretty cool.
Front lowered 1.5 inches, rear lowered 2.5 inches
Kenwood in dash CD/Sirius/Six Disk Changer
First of a few mods

2004 Mercury Marauder (Supercharged)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/bigslim2
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/484421