Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Cruiser Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2005, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser Questions

We are looking at buying one and just had a few questions. It is a 2001 with about 60,000 miles on it. We were wandering if they are good family cars. We do travel quite a bit. We have a 10 month old and will have at least one more with in the nexet year or two. We also wanted to know if the back seat pushes forward to give more room for the trunk. If not do you find this enough room for traveling. Al opinons welcome. Thanks in advance!
Old 28 Dec 2005, 11:50 am
Young Cruiser

We have found both of the PT Cruisers we've had ('01 Limited & '03 GT) to be very practical and useful cars. We've hauled 5 adults before, or with the rear seats out a LOT of stuff in the back.
The rear seats do not slide forward (the bases lock into the floor) but they do both fold down or tumble forward which gives lots of flexibility even when they are still in the car.
At 60,000 miles, if the spark plugs & wires on the one you're looking at haven't been changed yet then they are certainly due.

Good luck,
Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 28 Dec 2005, 01:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

The best advise I can give is to rent any car (if possible) to really give it a try. The 06 is a bit different, but should give you a good feel if the car fits your needs. Good Luck.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 28 Dec 2005, 03:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by purple04

The best advise I can give is to rent any car (if possible) to really give it a try. The 06 is a bit different, but should give you a good feel if the car fits your needs. Good Luck.
That's the best advice. The '06 changes are purely cosmetic, so it won't change it's utility.
Agree about plugs & wires - also, brakes & tires should not be priginal, and transmission should have been flushed.
That's about all to worry about.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Dec 2005, 08:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The PT is family friendly, but with 1 or 2 children strapped in the back and with the rear seats locked in, there isn't much room in the back. Even with the seats locked down you can pile a lot of luggage in the back.

I had a '02 and the transmission went out at 45,600 miles, and the transmission had been flushed at 30K. I have heard of others that have the same problem with the tranny. You didn't say what they were asking for a 5 year old car with 60K miles.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Dec 2005, 10:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

pts are great cars !! we have two my wife has an 04 limited and i have an 03 turbo, tons of room to haul anything & anyone !! good luck bob
Old 29 Dec 2005, 12:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

PT Cruiser's get Consumer Reports "Best Value" checkmark and great marks for reliability.

But the resale value on these cars is not good, so that should mean you can get a great deal on one.

That's a lot of miles, though. Are you sure the oil was changed regularly?

The non-turbo's have no power, especially with A/C on.

I love mine. I agree with the other posts, though, you have to drive one - really drive it, not just a quick test drive with the clock ticking.
Old 03 Jan 2006, 02:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jeff V

PT
The non-turbo's have no power, especially with A/C on.
A friendly amendment: The non-turbos with automatic trannys are low on power, especially with the A/C on, but the A/C compressor will disconnect when you floor it for passing, merging, etc.

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 03 Jan 2006, 10:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gel2005We have a 10 month old and will have at least one more with in the nexet year or two....Al opinons welcome. Thanks in advance!

This might be an unpopular answer, but you might do better with a Ford Econoline.

Choose wisely, and good luck.

Blanes HoodStruts
etc.