Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Chrysler Maintenance Contract Buyers Beware

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jan 2006, 07:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Chrysler Maintenance Contract Buyers Beware

If you are considering buying a maintenance contract from Chrysler; it's important to compare the contract's covered services with the work invoice each time.

For example: the "Scheduled Maintenance Care Plus" coupon book covers replacing ignition cables at 30,000 miles, but the maintenance logbook that came with the car doesn't. Furthermore, my dealer said he doesn't change spark plug wires at 30,000 miles routinely. So they frequently won't change them, even though it's covered.

That mistake can cause your engine to misfire, because the stock wires will fail, and when you bring it back, they can charge you: -> A Diagnostic fee, -> a labor fee, and -> a parts fee. All for parts that should have been replaced free by the maintenance contract!

Many customers don't realize that they've been over-charged because they don't read and compare the lists.

And some of those who do try to get a refund from Chrysler's telephone number 1-800-521-9922 are met with some pretty wild excuses or just flat out refusals.

And some of those who write to Chrysler's Box 2700 Troy, MI 48007 are only refunded a fraction of the service charge.

It's better to know before you go!
Old 05 Jan 2006, 08:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well said !! when i went thru my nightmare with my first 03 turbo, chrysler was less than helpfull!! i called them everyday until i got answers and they bought me out of the car ( dealership had car for 47 days ) when i went to pick up new car another o3 turbo i was told at the dearlership that chrysler felt i wanted something like this from day one!! as i complained that i didnt get the rebate that came out 3 weeks after i bought the car!! so dont let them push you around for any reason !! if something is wrong and its covered make them fix it !![}] bob
Old 07 Jan 2006, 06:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Dont change plugs at 30,000 miles?? These are regular plugs that some Japaneese companies tell you to change at 15,000 miles. Sure Platinums and Iridiums can last longer but they are not in our turbos. Those stock plug wires are jokes too. And I bet when they find one bad they simply replace the bad one and with the stock junk wires too!! Maybe it was a good thing I never got around to buying the extented warantee this time!![?] BTW I love my Iridium plugs by NGK which now have almost 15,000 miles on them and still my car never ran smoother or more responsive. And those MOPAR High Performance plug wires are 110% better than the stock wires and well worth the money.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 07 Jan 2006, 04:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I got the extended warranty on my wife's Town&country - mainly for all the "beels and whistles" that scare me - digital temp control, DVD player, etc - plugs, wires, brakes, etc., don't scare me..

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Jan 2006, 07:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I think we are talking about 2 different things here? Extended Warranty and Maintenance Contracts are not the same thing.
I have had Chrysler Extended Warranty coverage on my last 4 vehicles and never have had a problem with the dealer replacing/repairing a covered item. Never had a Chrysler Scheduled Maintenance Contract so I can't speak about them.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 07 Jan 2006, 07:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tpscruiser

I think we are talking about 2 different things here? Extended Warranty and Maintenance Contracts are not the same thing.
I have had Chrysler Extended Warranty coverage on my last 4 vehicles and never have had a problem with the dealer replacing/repairing a covered item. Never had a Chrysler Scheduled Maintenance Contract so I can't speak about them.
I didin't know there were 2.... I was talking of extended warranty - the title does say maintenance...[:I]
Old 08 Jan 2006, 02:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Chrysler Maintenance Contracts are really just a book of coupons that you buy at the same time that you buy the car.

Each coupon "pays for" the maintenance listed in the logbook every 3,000 miles.

The book costs less than the total of paying for all of the services it covers individually.

I am glad that I bought it, but when they didn't refund the full amount, I wanted to say so out loud.

Here's a link that explains it:
(You can clearly see "Replace Ignition Cables" on the list.)

http://www-5.servicecontracts.chrysl...Scheduled.html

Blanes HoodStruts
etc.
Old 08 Jan 2006, 02:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

zzzhuh,
I think that's what confused us all.
Is this a local dealer thing? I have never been offered a "Maintenance Coupon Contract" when I've purchased any of my last 6 vehicles from the same dealer. Then again, it's a very small dealership, less than 10 employees total.Maybe my dealer doesn't participate in the program.
The only other thing I could think of was the new "Miles of Freedom" promotion that Chrysler offered but I believe you get a debit card to pay for the services.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 08 Jan 2006, 06:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tpscruiser
...I have never been offered a "Maintenance Coupon Contract" when I've purchased any of my last 6 vehicles...

That doesn't surprise me.

But the "Scheduled Maintenance Care" plans are sold by Daimler Chrysler through the same "Serice Contracts" department that sells the extended warranty.

The Chrysler dealer that sold me my car only mentioned a book of oil change coupons; but I called around to other Chrysler dealers to compare prices, and a different Chrysler dealer told me about the "Scheduled Maintenance Care Plus" plan.

You have to buy it within 120 days of buying your car, and it's good at any Chrysler dealer.

It's available through all Chrysler dealers, but sometimes they only tell you about it if you ask for it by it's name: "Scheduled Maintenance Care".

Blanes HoodStruts
etc.