PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Instrument Cluster Light Recal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jan 2006, 12:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Instrument Cluster Light Recal?

Has anyone read about or heard of a RECAL for the instrument cluster lights burning out? My bulbs, 1 behind the speedo-needle and one behind the tach, between the 0-3,000RPM has burnt out. I have a 02 PT. I have read several people talking about this problem before. So is there a recall for these bad bulbs? Or do I just have to do it myself and replace them? I've read several threads on this topic but for all different models and years.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 03:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not for the bulbs.
I did see something about panels acting up - gauges not working comes to mind - but nothing about the bulbs.
Bulbs are always regarded as replaceable items.
Too late for you, but I learned long ago on another car after replacing bulbs - Don't turn the brightness up all the way nad the bulbs last longer.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Jan 2006, 03:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Not for the bulbs.
I did see something about panels acting up - gauges not working comes to mind - but nothing about the bulbs.
Bulbs are always regarded as replaceable items.
Too late for you, but I learned long ago on another car after replacing bulbs - Don't turn the brightness up all the way nad the bulbs last longer.
Thanks. That is still good to know. I bought the Haynes manual. looks like I'll be doing it myself. Not to complicated, just time consuming.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i just went through this. there is no recall that I was able to find on a 2001. thread is here:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...TOPIC_ID=13869

Old 11 Jan 2006, 05:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tomctomc

i just went through this. there is no recall that I was able to find on a 2001. thread is here:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...TOPIC_ID=13869

Thanks again. Do they sell different color bulbs for the type #74? I figured, why not buy some blue ones to get a darker light effect. And you said there are seven total? I want to replace all of mine too.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 05:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I didnt check for other colors - i just went with stock clear. yes there are 7 bulbs. I got at Autozone, they came 2 to a pack, so grab 4 packs and you're all set. they are tiny, fragile light bulbs, with the leads that stick out the bottom, and wrap up the sides. the leads make contact when pressed into a little plastic socket. i think the leads would bust off if bent more than a couple of times. you might want a spare pack, in case you break one, to prevent having to go back to the parts store in a car with no dashboard in it.. they are cheap bulbs - i think a 2-pk was $2. good luck, and watch for blind fasteneners - there are several. if a part won't come out, look for more screws or clips. I used a Haynes manual. It jumps you all over the place from chapter to chapter, but you'll get through it. the book didn't say to take the cover off that goes around the steering column near the tilt-wheel lever - but you have to take that off or you can't get clearance for the instrument cluster...
Old 11 Jan 2006, 06:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the tips. I to bought the Haynes manual today during my lunch hour. I was going to remove the sering column cover anyway bacause mine is painted enferno red. I figured it would get scratched up. I assume you disconected your neg, battery cable before starting the removal? I don't want those airbags opening up.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 06:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

no, Wicked, i didn't disconnect the neg cable, because, of all things, i wanted to listen to the radio... I did shut off the key when pulling the cluster to avoid damage. If i were to do over I would - but nothing broke.

one more thing: you can do this w/o pulling entire dash top cover off, which is how i did it. I just popped up the drivers side, leaving the passenger side alone. you only need a couple inches clearance to get the cluster out. Be careful, the top cover is thin metal (i think) with some plastic/upholstery covering on it and it feels like it will crease if you bend it too far...
Old 11 Jan 2006, 06:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tomctomc

no, Wicked, i didn't disconnect the neg cable, because, of all things, i wanted to listen to the radio... I did shut off the key when pulling the cluster to avoid damage. If i were to do over I would - but nothing broke.

one more thing: you can do this w/o pulling entire dash top cover off, which is how i did it. I just popped up the drivers side, leaving the passenger side alone. you only need a couple inches clearance to get the cluster out. Be careful, the top cover is thin metal (i think) with some plastic/upholstery covering on it and it feels like it will crease if you bend it too far...
Thanks for your help.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 11:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt

I think when i had the coolant sensor issue it was the dash, not the actual coolant sensor that was the problem....... But who knows?