Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
advice on wiper blades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2006, 06:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default advice on wiper blades

I've been having trouble with my wiper blades. These are fairly new and I try and take really good care of them, gently cleaning the blade with a damp cloth quite often.

What happens is that, more often than not, the blade "drags" noisily across the windshield (instead of quietly and smoothly). It doesn't matter how wet the windshield is. I've seen it happen with it slightly wet and very wet. At one time, I thought the temperature of the windshield was a factor, but I've since discovered that doesn't matter either.

Should I just go ahead and replace the blades (less than a year old and still look good to the eye) or is there some "trick" I can try before spending the money?

Also, any advice on which brands are the best/last the longest for the money?
Old 06 Feb 2006, 06:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

On-going discussion of Silicone Wiper Blades in the Exterior Accessory section of this forum.

Personally, I think if you keep the windshield really clean, it helps preserve the blades. I wipe down the windows (and the car) whenever I come back from a decent length trip and I've had the same wiper blades for 5 years. Other extenuating circumstances might have helped too.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Feb 2006, 07:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i use rain ex ones they work well the stock blades stink !!
Old 08 Feb 2006, 12:00 pm
Young Cruiser

rain x works well also Bosh. Found I had to buy higher priced blades the cheap ones made noise
Dream II #1350 e & g grill, sunroof deflector, power antenna, Borla duels
Old 08 Feb 2006, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've found, that for me, I buy a set of Bosch (Microedge Excel) blades in Spring. They'll last through until Fall, Then I'll go through two sets in the winter, before getting my spring wipers again....

2004 PT GT -Stage 1, K&N Drop-In, Airbox Mods, \'05 Composite Manifold, AMX TTAB, NGK V-Powers at .040, Magnecore KV-85\'s, Mopar BOV, BTG Strut Bar, Mopar Rear Sway, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Hawk HPS Brake Pads, a few visual Mods, a coupla Road Runners, and a Partridge in a Pear tree......
Old 13 Feb 2006, 10:38 am
Regular Cruiser

Just wanted to follow up on this. I got a good deal on RainX blades at Walmart. The difference is incredible! Clean, streak-free wipes and they are absolutely silent! Don't know why I waited so long to replace them.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 11:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Think I'll try the Rain-X. I use their mix in the washer-fluid and like it.
WalMart - I can do that.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Feb 2006, 11:44 am
Young Cruiser

I put the siliblade wipers one, blue ones about 3 years ago. I live in the cold part of the midwest where we get the dirt in the summer and freezing snow and rain in the winter. These blades have worked perfect from day one, with no squeeking or chattering. I just wish they made the in smaller sizes. I would recommend them for anyone. I found the best deal on them at NOPI.com.