Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Leaking Rear Doors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2006, 10:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Leaking Rear Doors

Anyone having problems with the rear doors leaking? This was a problem I didn't know I had, primarily because the car was usually parked in the garage. Now that the car is back in the garage I still have a musty odor. The carpet is dry and no other moisture is seen or felt.

I first noticed the problem in the back driverside floor just behind the front seat. Then I noticed water puddling next to the rear seats just inside the door.

Is it common for these door seals to leak?
Old 11 Feb 2006, 11:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mark,

Welcome to the forum.
I'm on a lot of different PT forums and haven't heard of this problem your having. The rear doors have one long rubber molding around the door frame itself which comes together at the bottom. Have you checked the the whole length of the molding to see if it's seperated from the frame allowing water to come inside?

One thing you can do it take someone with you to a Do-It-Yourself car wash and with one of you inside, the other person uses the high power wash against all the seams on the drivers side to see if you can spot where the water is entering.

Old 12 Feb 2006, 11:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

hi mark and welcome to the board!! like crewzin said its got to be the rubber seal around the door good luck keep us posted on what you find out
Old 13 Feb 2006, 11:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome, Mark.
You have a sunroof? At the back of sunroofs there's a drain with small plastic tubing - if that gets clogged, you get a leak.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Feb 2006, 03:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Welcome, Mark.
You have a sunroof? At the back of sunroofs there's a drain with small plastic tubing - if that gets clogged, you get a leak.
Good thought Don. I looked at the sunroom in my PT but it was way to forward of where the leak was supposed to be so I never mentioned it. I didn't know of the drain tube. But where does it (tube) go to?
Old 13 Feb 2006, 05:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Welcome, Mark.
Good thought Don. I looked at the sunroom in my PT but it was way to forward of where the leak was supposed to be so I never mentioned it. I didn't know of the drain tube. But where does it (tube) go to?
Not certain on the PT, but on another car I had there were 2 in the rear, tubes went to top of wheel wells to drain.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 07:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The PT Sunroof has 4 drains, 2 front and 2 rear.
The rear drains are located outboard of the hatch hinges. Open the hatch and you will see a black rubber piece about an inch in diameter with a 1/4" hole in it. The front drains come down the "A" pillars on the inside and drain into the front cowl area where the wiper moter is and the HVAC air intake/Cabin Air filter area.
Del Val PT Cruisers