Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The Trunk Problem Thing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2006, 11:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default The Trunk Problem Thing

Hi.....new here.....just bought my 2005 about a week ago....love it, of course....my last car was 17 years old, so maybe I'm just not familiar with new fangled things....BUT...whenever I start my new car, the trunk opens and the trunk-open light goes on and bells chime and I have to leave the car running while I leap out and close the trunk......now maybe it's just me, but this doesn't seem quite right......it wasn't listed in the manual's "interesting new features you might like to know about your car now that you've committed yourself for the next five years"......am I inadverently doing something incredibly stupid to make this happen????......please, please, please advise......many thanks.....Robbi
Old 21 Feb 2006, 11:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

hi robbi, welcome to the board!! great people on here , i have never heard of your problem , is it that you take something out of the trunk after you shut the car off and its not closed all the way?? then when you restart the car the door wasnt closed all the way to begin with ?? [:I] just a thought
Old 21 Feb 2006, 11:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good answer Bob. Welcome to the forum Robbi. As Bob noted, maybe your not shutting the rear hatch quite hard enough. I know I have to let it slam shut when I close it or it won't be totally closed and the tell tale light will let me know the next time I start it up.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 03:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bijou

Hi.....new here.....just bought my 2005 about a week ago....love it, of course....my last car was 17 years old, so maybe I'm just not familiar with new fangled things....BUT...whenever I start my new car, the trunk opens and the trunk-open light goes on and bells chime and I have to leave the car running while I leap out and close the trunk......now maybe it's just me, but this doesn't seem quite right......it wasn't listed in the manual's "interesting new features you might like to know about your car now that you've committed yourself for the next five years"......am I inadverently doing something incredibly stupid to make this happen????......please, please, please advise......many thanks.....Robbi
Old 22 Feb 2006, 03:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks you so very much for your kind words and speedy replies.....but, you know, I'm fairly certain that trunk is tightly shut when I start the car because I can hear it pop open.......having said that, though, I'll make every effort to be extra vigilant next time about it being solidly closed and will let you know how things turn out.....thanks again and should you have any more thoughts on this (and I'm sure you'll be up all night thinking about it) please don't hesitate to tell me what they are.....I'm at a complete loss........
Old 22 Feb 2006, 10:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Robbi,

There is one (maybe two) more things it could be. The PT is equipped with an RKEM (Remote Keyless Entry Module) that's located behind the center dash (see picture). This module controls the opening of the doors and hatch. If your right about being sure that you close the hatch and you can hear it pop open when you start the car.....something could be wrong with that module so it's getting a signal to open the hatch when the ignition is turned on. Either that or maybe your hand held key fob has something wrong with it and is also the cause of the hatch opening up, BUT, the key fob would also send a signal for all the doors to open up also...unless the doors are already open (unlocked) and only the hatch opens up. [:I]

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 12:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

You don't happen to have a convertible do you? Don't they have the electric trunk release? If so, that might be it, I've never had the "normal" hatch pop open ever.

SRG
Old 22 Feb 2006, 06:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Nope, not a convertible.....and I tried the other key fob, but sadly to no avail.....I suspect you may be on the right track, though - that there's something screwy with the Remote Keyless Entry Sytem module certainly makes logical sense to me, and I know next to nothing about such things.....of course, now I'll have to take it to someone who does know about such things....this is a little out of my league......I'm seriously perplexed and annoyed, though....I've had the car for less than two weeks and I'm hoping this isn't a sign of more weird things to come.......we shall see.......but a million thanks for all your time and for coming to my aid.....I really appreciate it.....
Old 22 Feb 2006, 07:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bijou

Nope, not a convertible.....and I tried the other key fob, but sadly to no avail.....I suspect you may be on the right track, though - that there's something screwy with the Remote Keyless Entry Sytem module certainly makes logical sense to me, and I know next to nothing about such things.....of course, now I'll have to take it to someone who does know about such things....this is a little out of my league......I'm seriously perplexed and annoyed, though....I've had the car for less than two weeks and I'm hoping this isn't a sign of more weird things to come.......we shall see.......but a million thanks for all your time and for coming to my aid.....I really appreciate it.....
Is there a sensor in the rear door area? My guess would be that it has gone bad and needs to be replaced.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 09:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the FORUM [^] !!!!!

IF this a vehicle still under warranty, I suggest you return it to the dealer you bought it from.

You never said if it was new or used or how many miles it has on it.