PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need help on PT cruiser engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2006, 02:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need help on PT cruiser engine

HI,

i plan to install some aftermarket gadgets to improve the drive and mielage on the PT cruiser. My model is the 2001 baseline model.

Questions:

1) does the car have a vacuum bar (the one normally placed before the injectors) - plan to install a vacuum controller

2) If i were to ground my car further, do i connect it to the "-" of the battery or at the "-" sign on the car body? there is a mark stating "-" sign on the body of the engine compartment - planning do install ground wires and voltage stabilizers

3) does the fuel saver magnets work with the PT cruiser?

4) does the car have a vacuum line from the intake manifold to the engine head? - planning to install the air compressor to better cool the engine head

thanks.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 05:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ruzz1

HI,

i plan to install some aftermarket gadgets to improve the drive and mielage on the PT cruiser. My model is the 2001 baseline model.

Questions:

1) does the car have a vacuum bar (the one normally placed before the injectors) - plan to install a vacuum controller

2) If i were to ground my car further, do i connect it to the "-" of the battery or at the "-" sign on the car body? there is a mark stating "-" sign on the body of the engine compartment - planning do install ground wires and voltage stabilizers

3) does the fuel saver magnets work with the PT cruiser?

4) does the car have a vacuum line from the intake manifold to the engine head? - planning to install the air compressor to better cool the engine head

thanks.
No aftermarket gadgets will improve mpg. This topic has been beaten to death on the forums. No matter what others have said about adding an intake, exhaust system, the Turbonator, better spark plugs, etc the only way to get the best mpg is to drive conservatively, proper tire pressure and keeping your car properly tuned. Here is an article on magnetism and gasoline.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem00019.htm

Remember, all manufacturers of supposedly mpg adders will not claim their products don't work. I hope you didn't buy the PT with mpg in mind. They weigh alot and have the wind resistance of a sheet of plywood. Just enjoy the many nice things about driving a PT. [?]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 27 Feb 2006, 09:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

In fact, pump up the tires a couple pounds above the door sticker for less rolling resistance and drive with a light foot.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 10:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Better grounding can't hurt. Get heavy cables and go right from the - battery post to anywhere on the body or engine. I went from battery post to the housing of the computer against the firewall. It won't help mileage, but may help with smoothness.
The - marking by the radiator comes from the - post of the battery; it's there to jump start the car.
Unscrew the hose clamp and pull off the hose from your air intake - turn the top half of the intake upside down an use a screwdriver to remove the white donut-sized and shaped plastic piece. It's a sound reducer, and taking it out helps air flow a tiny bit better - it's worth more than magnets on the fuel line.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Feb 2006, 12:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

As someone with a bit of automotive knowledge, I haven't even heard of a compressor that cools the head and connects to vacuum between the intake and head. The others also sound like voodoo MPG tricks. Spend a while researching "MPG" here in the archives, and it should give you the long version of what others have said. Drive conservatively and maintain the vehicle properly. You can also find a lot of info on hypergrounding. Good Luck.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 05 Mar 2006, 10:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys, I will just probably do the grounding.

On a separate note, I just noticed that the sparkplugs that my Chryslear dealer recently changed with new set of mopar sparkplug wires was RE16mcc. The mech said that teh RE14mcc is obsolete and now was told to use RE16mcc. is this true??? help. I still have the stutter/shake when idling. Rev meter is stable though.
Old 05 Mar 2006, 10:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure about the Chrysler numbers, but most of us went to the Champion Double Platinum plugs #7570 and gapped them at around .040in. Better (upgraded) wires helped others from having stumble, hesitation and rough idle also.

Since you just had both plugs and wires done, take it back and complain....and don't let them tell you "they all do that", because THEY DON'T.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 04:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Not sure about the Chrysler numbers, but most of us went to the Champion Double Platinum plugs #7570 and gapped them at around .040in. Better (upgraded) wires helped others from having stumble, hesitation and rough idle also.

Since you just had both plugs and wires done, take it back and complain....and don't let them tell you "they all do that", because THEY DON'T.
I agree

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 08 Mar 2006, 10:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[|)] What they said!!!