Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Suspension problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2006, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Suspension problems

I had some clunking noise in the rear of my wife's 02 Touring Edition cruiser, so I took it to the dealer today. It has 44,234 miles on it. They said the rear sway bar had to be replaced at a cost of $154.95 including labor. I told them to go ahead, when it was finished, they said there was also a clunking noise in the front end. I had never noticed it, but I seldom drive the car. They asked if I would like them to investigate it and I said sure. It turns out that the front lower control arm bushings on both sides are worn and need replacing. I asked them if this was normal, they said "it happens". My question to the forum is, has it ever happenned to any of you? They want $455.00 to replace them. Thanks for your comments.

Manny
Old 27 Mar 2006, 06:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

hi, welcome to the board, does it happen yes , i have an 03 turbo just turned 10,000 miles had to have both changed they told me that they were bad from the factory!! my car was still inder warrenty so it cost nothing, i dont think there was a recall on them but call chrysler direct and ask them good luck & keep us posted
Old 28 Mar 2006, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome, Manny.
I also lost my rear sway bar on my '02 - hit a bad pothole somewhere around 80,000 miles. I had them check all suspension bushings, and all else was okay.
It's a variable thing - my son's car (not a PT) needed them at 60,000 miles.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Mar 2006, 12:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

The lower control arm bushings are bad in mine also
I have owned a lot of vehicles over the years and this is the first time I have ever had this type of problem[xx(]
There should be a recall on them, a cheap part that should never have been used!
Old 28 Mar 2006, 03:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

In our 2002, they were replaced at 17-18K miles, they started to seperate and were replaced under warranty. 38K on it now and no problems with the replacements.
Our 2003 has 23K miles and the originals are doing fine.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 30 Mar 2006, 04:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

I dont like the stock busing that the dealer installs in the lower a arms. Not enough flex especially if you have air suspension or you have lowered your PT. I would recommend you use the polyurethane bushing by energy suspension. You can buy them from autotrucktoys.com for 49.95 plus shipping. They will last many times over what the stock rubber ones that deteriorate very fast. Hope this help out. Later[^]
Old 30 Mar 2006, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[
My 2001 lmtd just started clanking in the rear...
sounds like something coming thru whole rear deck..
can the bushings only be replaced or does the whole
bar/bushing need be??? black][/black]
Old 30 Mar 2006, 08:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

On mine they told me that the whole sway bar had to be replaced, cost me $159.00 with labor.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Anybody have a P/N and online source for this sway bar/link?
Old 28 Apr 2007, 08:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to infernocruisr01
Default Re: Suspension problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedropnliftshop View Post
I dont like the stock busing that the dealer installs in the lower a arms. Not enough flex especially if you have air suspension or you have lowered your PT. I would recommend you use the polyurethane bushing by energy suspension. You can buy them from autotrucktoys.com for 49.95 plus shipping. They will last many times over what the stock rubber ones that deteriorate very fast. Hope this help out. Later[^]
does the energy suspension bushings sqweak during the winter months.. i'm just curious cause i'm from new hampshire????