PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
trac control & abs light staying on in dash

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2006, 05:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default trac control & abs light staying on in dash

hello all, was on the way home from work and i got a chime i looked at the dash and the trac control and abs light are lit on dash board, i got home shut car of re started it and they are still lit nay thoughts ??[:I]
Old 04 Apr 2006, 11:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Try disconnecting your battery for about 5 minutes, may reset the computer. Try that first.
Old 05 Apr 2006, 09:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree w/Hooligan. If it comes on again, you may have a brake caliper hung up, not releasing.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Apr 2006, 10:28 am
Cool Cruiser

The most common problem on ABS systems is one of the wheel sensors or circuits. Haven't seen a pattern failure for PTs, but getting the code pulled should point you in the right direction.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 05 Apr 2006, 11:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobs turbo pt

hello all, was on the way home from work and i got a chime i looked at the dash and the trac control and abs light are lit on dash board, i got home shut car of re started it and they are still lit nay thoughts ??[:I]
Yeah, one thought:
Pull the codes... and look them up.
and either fix it yourself or or drive carefully to a good shop and get it fixed as soon as possible.

The light is telling you that ABS and Trac Control are not working, and may be just the tip of an iceberg of brake problems. Or just a sensor connector came loose. Either way, PLEASE take care of it soon, we don't want to see pictures of your turbo wrapped around a flagpole.

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 05 Apr 2006, 05:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

hello all, started the car this morning and no trac control and abs light on dash all seems ok going to check for a code
Old 28 Jun 2010, 12:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: trac control & abs light staying on in dash

trac control & abs light staying on in dash on pt cruiser 2001 limited

well had same problem with my pt cruiser 2001, firstly there is no need to plug in computer under the dash for pulling abs error codes, because the problem can be the cracked abs ring on the drive shaft/cv joint,

turn your steering all the way to left and ask your colleague to see if behind the tyre the abs ring is broken or cracked, it is circular like a bracelete with grooves, then turn the steering to the right and repeat the inpesction,

if the abs ring is cracked then look on ebay or web for pt cruiser abs ring or kia abs ring, should cost about 5-10 each and a garage could heat it up with gas and hammer it into the drive shaft/cv joint for you for about 20-30, takes about 30min to 45mins, make sure the garage dont heat the cv booth kit rubber next to the abs ring when heating it up.

i heard you can only buy abs ring for front wheels and its not available separately for rear wheels, so for rear you may need to buy the whole part it comes on

the front abs rings are easily visible when you turn the wheel to one side, the rear ones may not be visible as i have not seen them

so if the abs ring are good then it wil probably be one of the wheel sensors, in this case you you may look for a garage who will hook up the computer and pull the code for you, be carefull if the say there are no abs error codes it means the sensors are ok and most of it

there is no need to but abs sensor for any wheel when there are no error codes

on pt cruiser you can pull engine error codes yourself without a computer, just do the key dance on the ignition, turn key until dash lights come on then switch off and then again turn key until dash lights come on then swithch off, then turn key for third time again until dsah lights come on , you will see engine error codes displayed then says done, if there are no error codes it will say done, howevere these are engine error codes only not abs error codes, abs error codes are plled sing abs diagnostic tool

incase its a faulty wheel sensor, will cost 45 at dealer or 20 from scrap, then a garage can removed the tyre and plug out the old sensor cable and replace it with a new one, one end is easy to plug in but the other end has to be pushed in at an angle, its about 30min job and garae can charge 20 or so

my pt cruiser is back on the road with just one abs ring replaced and it all cost me 30 alltogether
Old 17 Jun 2013, 12:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The brakes work normally with the ABS light on. Only the anti skid is off.
Old 20 Jun 2013, 01:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

try the above tips,

the brakes will still work, but the abs may not work,

it won't pass mot or annual car check unless its fixed...
Old 20 Jun 2013, 01:31 am
Banned

Cool Re: trac control & abs light staying on in dash

Holy thread revival batman!