PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
mysterious rear knocking noise was found FIXED!!:)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2006, 04:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default mysterious rear knocking noise was found FIXED!!:)

Yea! the noise is fixed!

I went to another shop that does alignment and suspension. They lift the car up and within minutes they found the problem. It was a loose sway bar end link bolt. you know it is that bolt thats at the end of the rear sway bar. After I replaced my OEM bushing and sway bar with aftermarket sway bar and bushing the end bolt was a bit too long for tightening. After the Polyurathane busing settled in and shrunk the OEM bolt even at it's tighest was loose so the sway bar was shifting left and right. I can tell the sway bar is suppose to be able to shift slighting but it was gotten so loose because of the bushing shinkage that the last shop tighten the bolt to a point that this new shop ALMOST have to cut the bolt.They needed 2 guys and some LONG ranch to take out the bolt and replace it with another one. This new mech guy was a bit smarter he put in 2 washer to fill the gap.........I think why the last shop didn't find the problem is another mystery. They did tried everything but I guess some guys are just idiots.

5 mins inspection and problem found
10 mins for 2 mech guys to loosen the old bolt
one new sway bar endlink bolt any shorter bolt would do $2.....
2 washers $1
about 45 mins in the shop

AND NO MORE SOUND!!!!!!!! the rear end feel better too like the sway bar is working again and it feel like its standing instead of feeling like it's sagging all the time. Handling and comfort amazingly improved ....so for those of you that say a rear sway bar won't do u any good...BS. SO SO SO happy!!!!

the shop charged me $40 I gave the mechanic another $20 for tip..don't have 10s and 5s...HE WAS happy....I WAS alot more happier than him. I know an hour of work would cost $68 so even with $20 tip I stil got it cheap. I was expecting much worst....luckily I didn't get the bellcrank.......Now I learn that if one shop can't find the problem time after time it's time to change shop[^]
Old 26 Apr 2006, 09:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sure glad you found someone that fixed the problem. [^]
Old 01 May 2006, 12:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

About a week after I put my rear sway bar on I had a similar problem - wasn't the noise as much as the shaky handling - all those bolts want to be TIGHT!
I didn't have the clamps to the axle tight enough, and I'd get a clunk every now and then - re-torqued and no noise, but more importantly the handling improved.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 May 2006, 12:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Glad everything worked out.Sometimes it just takes another eye
to find the problem.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)