PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
O gee! !!!!! my PT is over heating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2006, 05:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default O gee! !!!!! my PT is over heating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a 2001 with 81K miles

it reach 98degrees in my city today. I was very unlucky that I was trap in traffic for 30mins straight. I got my AC full blading. The engine oil warning light keep going on and off keep beeping every 10 minutes warning me. At that time I saw the the temperature almost reach the red zone.

I turn the AC off and the temperature drop slightly and it kept just below the red zone. I pulled over to a gas station and check the engine oil and it's full....so I checked the coolant and guess what the coolant seems to be all GONE!. nothings left I had to filled a whole case of those regular size coolant.........I also check for leakage afterward but it doesn't seem like the coolants leaking at all.

The problem now is that the engine temp is still very VERY high and if I turn the AC on it'll go up to the red zone.

The coolants full, engine oil is full, water pump is like 2 months old ....WTF!
Old 01 Jun 2006, 06:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I hope that I am wrong, but this might be a head gasket (the coolant ends up in the crankcase... 'no coolant, lots of "oil"')

Get it to a GOOD mechanic, and good luck!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ctown

I got a 2001 with 81K miles

it reach 98degrees in my city today. I was very unlucky that I was trap in traffic for 30mins straight. I got my AC full blading. The engine oil warning light keep going on and off keep beeping every 10 minutes warning me. At that time I saw the the temperature almost reach the red zone.

I turn the AC off and the temperature drop slightly and it kept just below the red zone. I pulled over to a gas station and check the engine oil and it's full....so I checked the coolant and guess what the coolant seems to be all GONE!. nothings left I had to filled a whole case of those regular size coolant.........I also check for leakage afterward but it doesn't seem like the coolants leaking at all.

The problem now is that the engine temp is still very VERY high and if I turn the AC on it'll go up to the red zone.

The coolants full, engine oil is full, water pump is like 2 months old ....WTF!
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 01 Jun 2006, 06:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sounds like you just need to replace your thermostat. If it goes bad it will give you false readings. It's a cheap part. I would replace it first and then go from there.
Old 01 Jun 2006, 06:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

is your fan coming on ??
Old 01 Jun 2006, 06:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I would check the radiator cooling fan first. Many have reported that it had failed or is not turning on. You would only notice the car overheating in heavy stop-and-go traffic.

The proper/only anti-freeze to use is (Valvoline) Zerex G-05 or Mopar Antifreeze (MS-9769) aka as HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology). Zerex G-05 is available at most auto supply/parts stores. The usual mix is 50/50 with "low mineral", or distilled, or de-ionized water. Distilled and de-ionized water can be found at most grocery stores and is usually recommended for "best cooling without corrosion".
Old 01 Jun 2006, 08:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The radiator fan is a good guess, BUT, when mine went in heavy traffic, just turning off the A/C didn't help one bit. As long as the engine is running, it continues to get hotter until the water boils over and explodes out of the overflow tank that attached to the middle of the firewall overlooking the engine. The cap blows off of the overflow tank and gallons of extremely hot red sticky antifreeze goes everywhere. Not a pretty sight.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Jun 2006, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ctown

water pump is like 2 months old ....WTF!
Tell us about water pump - did it overheat badly then? Could've blown the head gasket...
would hope that thermostat was replaced when water pump was done..
Easy to check fan:
1) start car
2) turn A/C on
3) fan should be running.
Let us know. (it's how I learn)

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Jun 2006, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My guess would be the fan, if it was the thermistate, it would overheat period, stop and go or hwy. Head gasket would drain the coolant into the oil or oil into the coolant. Had that problem myself after a month of purchasing my used GT and there the reserve stayed full but the radiator would be bone dry if some of you guys remember that 4 month ordeal on a different forum. The fan is set to auto start when the ac is turned on so that's the quickest on checking the motor. Question though on that being 100% of fan function, what about the temp sensor for the fan? Don't you still need to check at operating temps without the ac as well.
MODS:dual ram-air hood, flames, carbon fiber interior kit,dvd nav tv tuner 7\"touchscreen, Fosgate 4 channel amp, 12\" dual subs with LED box, mb-quart modual speakers, windshild visor, leather racing seats, Goldline springs 3\"drop, Tokico shocks, BOV, C.F. tail lights, and more. Need to install xeon side skirts, rocker pod guages.
Old 03 Jun 2006, 07:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

I saw the mech

The problem: TBD

1)could be the my coolant level was low as is
2)Could be the thermostat got stuck
3)Could be a leak but he couldn't find any beside nea the radiator cap area (very small)Tighten the screws and we'll see

analysis the problem

1)reason why the oil light came on was that the oil got so overheated that it turn to very tiny liquid and totally broken down. I will change the oil when I have time. This is why we all should us more expensive oil.

2)The coolant level cool have been low or the thermostate got stucked and the coolant boiled over and leaked through the caps. My buddy told me that if the coolant boil up it built up enough pressure to be force out from some the cap around which is built to have some degree to release pressure.

I added more coolant in the system and everything is back to normal for some reason .....I was in traffic again in the same temp AC full blasting and nothing....alll normal..........I do notice the car is running a little rough....maybe need a oil change......maybe monday morning