Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Review: $2200 for a NA replacement engine PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jul 2006, 04:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Review: $2200 for a NA replacement engine PT

I finally got my car back today after that overheat blown engine little incident. Spent $2200 on a used engine. My mech buddy told me that the engine has 30K. Well I trust him since my moms his babysitter(not for the $ just because my mom love kids) Anyway here what I think of the car after getting this new USED younger engine. remember my car has 85K on it.

When I 1st started the car it take longer to start the car. example: when I turn my key it usually start with 2 cranks, not it goes like this crank crank crank crank and the car starts. I'm not sure if this well go away. It's noiser to start it but once it's on the engine is ALOT quiter than usual. I guess my engine was bad all along from the 1st day I got the car. SInce the very 1st day it sounded like a diesel engine with the TICK TICK TICK sound.

Also I have a manual and I feel the RPM doesn't drop as quick as before. Example. If I'm in 3rd gear in 3000RPM and I put it into 5th the RPM just stays at 3000 and slowly drop to 2000. with the old engine when I shift it instantly reacts.

Well I still have to test it for a few days and see whats what. I
m just happy that I got my car back and don't have to take the stinky subway to work in the city.

The price for the engine was $1200 so I figure the engine is rather new. Why I didn't ask for a turbo upgrade well I'm just happy to have a car now[|)] I have check ebay and a turbo engine cost $1800+ ECM + alot of things that I may have to replace. so its 1200 for the engine and 1000 for labor which included parts that I damaged when the car overheated PLUS fixing my AC.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 04:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Since you had your last PT 85,000 miles, far be it from me to give advice, but I did read on other Forums of people with hard to start PTs that if you turn key to "ON" (just before start) and leave it there and count to 5 or so, it allows pump to pressurize fuel system and then turn to start. Can't hurt to try.
Overall, sounds like you have a good engine.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Jul 2006, 05:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hate to sound like a stuck record on a single track....but were all the ignition related parts changed before or after installing the used engine? Could be as simple as what we've been telling everyone...plugs and wires. If the plugs are OEM, at 30K they could have widened to way over the .050in gap that they were probably set at. QSD pointed to the fuel pressure, but you never know wat kind of fuel was used by the previous owner. A good professinal injector cleaning might be in order. If it's running quiet and strong that's a good sign. Good luck with it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 07:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

glad you got the car back !! enjoy it !![8)]
Old 11 Jul 2006, 09:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Glad you are back on the road. The hard to start problem has been known with PT's and in my case SRT-4's with Stage 2. My '03 GT did it and my '05 SRT-4 does it. I just give it a quick turn of the key (without starting it). Turn it off quickly and then the next time I turn the key to actually try and start it, it fires right up. It doesn't matter if I turn the key just to on and let the fuel pressure get up there. The quick on/off and then actually starting works great.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Will you have any problems with the smog laws in your state? Here in California it would be a problem if the engine wasn't from a PT Cruiser of the same production year.

Don aka Basset Hound

Pics at: http://members4.clubphoto.com/don284358/
Old 12 Jul 2006, 05:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

another update

Been driving the car for 2 days now on the highway and in the city. I'm adapting to the engine now. It's feeling like usual with slightly better power. The engine seems smoother. The engine turns on without a problem. No hasitation nothing.

everything seems back to normal. Now I just regret not getting a turbo BUT again that would cost me alot more. I think I need to stop thinking stupid here
Old 19 Jul 2006, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

is the car doing good still ??
Old 24 Jul 2006, 01:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobs turbo pt

is the car doing good still ??
yea the engine is fine. I got use to it now and it feel just like before the engine transplant. Also the engine is very quite(well compare to before) The old engine sounded like a diesel for some years. I guess that was a bad sign but I didn't assume these engines are like that.

Except for coolant leaking from the heater hose everything is fine