Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bike racks for PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2006, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bike racks for PT

I've found that the bike rack I used on my Honda does not work on my PT because the seal around the top of the rear hatch is too tight to attach the "hooks". Can anyone recommend a good sturdy bike rack for the Cruiser that is easy to put on and will not harm the exterior?
Shirley
Old 16 Aug 2006, 10:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's one....a little expensive, but I'm sure there's more around.

http://www.cruiserbits.com/Shop/View...eIndexID=33103

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the same problem.
I ended up getting a "Hitch Receiver" installed. I had the dealership install the hitch receiver that Chrysler makes specifically for PTs. I then bought a cheap 2 bike rack that mounts by slipping its stem into the hitch receiver. With this system you have no need to hook ANY straps to the Cruiser.
My wife and I hauled two relatively heavy bikes (a recumbent and a "comfort" style bike) for nearly 4000mi often on rough Interstate highways at speeds of 75 mph with no problem at all. I used cables to make sure the bikes were locked to the rack and the rack was locked to the Cruiser.
I saved some significant $s by NOT getting the light harness. I have no intention of ever pulling a trailer, so I saw no need for the extra expense.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 08:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yakima Q Tower Roof Racks are adjustable to fit the PT roof. I bought a used set and purchased the gutter hooks that are compatible with the PT. Very happy with the racks since you can outfit to hold bikes, put a cargo carrier, snowboard and lumber, very usefull. I also have the trailer hitch bike rack which is a Chrysler accesory which works really well too. Camping gear stored in the cargo carrier on the roof, mountian bikes on the bike hitch.
03 Black PT GT: BTG Strut Tower Brace, BTG Rear Anti Sway Bar, Psi-Fi Control Arm Bushings, H&R Wheel Spacers, Mopar Stage 2 Coilovers, Yokohama AVS ES100, Stage 1, Uppper Charge Pipe, Mopar Plastc Manifold.
Mods On The Way: AGP Wastegate Actuator
Old 17 Aug 2006, 09:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to satellite66

Wife wants bike rack for ours but we have a hitch so we say a hitch rack at Walmart for 85 two bike.

2003 Electric Blue 5spd
Many on the political left are so entranced by the beauty of their vision that they cannot see the ugly reality they are creating in the real world.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 05:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks! I like the hitches that don't touch the body of the car at all! Lots of good info.
Shirley
Old 18 Aug 2006, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Look for the hitch mounted model that swings away or down like the example in Crewzin's post. Otherwise the hatch is inaccessible with the bike rack mounted. Also match the receiver size of 1 1/4 or 2 inch. The 1 1/4 seems to be the more popular option for the PT.

Also, etrailer.com has a bunch of hitches:
http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp...rysler&t1=&h=e

and foldable racks:
http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant...ory_Code=BR114

I just ordered a hitch from them for my wife's Altima. Great service and prices too!