Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Excellent Tires To Consider!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2006, 10:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Excellent Tires To Consider!!

I have an 04 PT GT. The OEM Goodyear tires that came with the car were 205/50-17 RSA's. I have not particularly liked them. They were just OK in the performance department, and were very very noisy on the road (especially howling on the freeway). The car had 34,000 miles, and the tires were only going to last maybe another 4000 miles. Since I was taking the family on a driving vacation, I decided to change them now.

I looked at the limited options for the tire size, and nothing really tripped my fancy (e.g. all sports, all the time). I decided to get a slightly larger size and give the new Goodyear ResponsEdge tires a go with 215/50-17.

These tires are nothing short of miraculous. The performance is at least equal to the RSA's, but the road noise and riding comfort is quiet and "cushy". (To digress, please remember that I was also replacing a worn/limited tread left tire with a brand new one with inches of new rubber between the pavement and myself.)

If you have a PT, and need new tires, I just cannot believe that there is a better choice for you to consider than these new GoodyearÂ’s. They are all season, and I believe V-rated. My family and I traveled over 1500 miles from LA to Lake Tahoe on some mighty pock-marked and expansion jointed road surfaces, and these tires never let the drive become tiresome for us inside, or unsafely handling for the driver.

With all of the bad press the RSA's (rightly) got on the GT boards here, I have to give Goodyear a big thumbs up for designing these new shoes. And, even better, they are less expensive.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 08:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Myself...the best is the Michelin Hydroedge...
Old 22 Aug 2006, 08:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

thanks for letting us know !![^]
Old 25 Aug 2006, 12:29 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rszappa1

Myself...the best is the Michelin Hydroedge...
Do you have a dyno slip or before/after track times to prove this?

[}][}][}][}][}][}][}][}]
Old 25 Aug 2006, 07:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

[8)]Sure dooo....and you can feel it also...
Old 25 Aug 2006, 09:34 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm sooooooooooo tired hearing about DYNO.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 25 Aug 2006, 12:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I agree but it is the only way to prove some of the claims that people make about mods done to there engine...or a before and after slip from the drags....
Old 25 Aug 2006, 02:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

But again, if someone is that interested in DYNO results and "the drags", why would they consider a PT Cruiser. (Just an observation)

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 25 Aug 2006, 03:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Good point..The PT would not be high on my list for drag racing...But the point i am trying to make...we have numerous people that make claims of horsepower increases with comments like you can feel it or whatever....A dyno would show if there is an increase or not plus the ET from a before and after run would also show a gain in horsepower....Not that you just feel it in the seat of your pants....Your mind will make you believe whatever you want to believe.....
Old 26 Aug 2006, 02:13 am
Regular Cruiser

Yet, without showing any solid proof, you yourself are claiming an improvement based on seat of the pants feel with the tires you mention.

This is different how? Have you done actual tests, with repeatable results, to show improved braking, cornering, wet traction, etc? If so, please show us the results and describe your test protocols. You preach pretty loudly to others, yet apparently commit the same sins.

As for drag racing a PT Cruiser - it's great fun to go to the drags with a group of PT owners and have the tuner boys approach, asking what the hell we're doing there. Then, after we run, those same kids come up and ask us what the hell we did to make a PT move like that? There is a good deal of fun to be had running a sleeper.