PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
have you ever heard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2006, 12:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default have you ever heard

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I was on here last and posted a few questions, Hope all is well.

Has anyone of you heard of a Target Magnet? My check engine light is on and the mechanic said it was a Taget Magnet and it's missing a tooth.

I was having problems with the car not starting the results were the camshaft sensor and the harness plug were damaged and that was causing the car not to start all the time.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have a 2003 with 44,000

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Trish
Old 12 Sep 2006, 03:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Never heard of the specifics "target magnet"...
What was error code?
From the rest of your post (hard starting, camshaft sensor), I deduce that it was ignition-related. The way sensors work, is the crankshaft and camshaft have magents that as the shafts rotate tell sensors where the pistons are to determine when to trigger an ignition spark.
Hope that helps.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Sep 2006, 03:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Trish,

I had the harness from the camshaft sensor burn apart after it came loose from the mounting tab. The harness dropped to a place where it rubbed against the half shaft. When there's no more signal from camshaft, the car doesn't run period. I guess you could have a loose harness plug that would give you interrupted signals.

As far as the "Target Magnet", the only thing I can find is that Target Magnets are used for speed sensors. The magnetic relay gets it's input from a rotating object with teeth and each tooth sends a signal thru the magnetic sensor for speed sensing.

Maybe someone with more knowledge of this type of arrangement in the PT Cruiser will come along and give you a better response.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 04:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

QuickSilver & Crewzin-

Thanks for your replies, I only the basics of cars.

Take care-

Trish
Old 12 Sep 2006, 09:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

never heard of the target magnet ??[:I]
Old 13 Sep 2006, 12:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Chalk me up as another one that's never heard of a target magnet.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 11:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: have you ever heard

I realize this is way old, but here goes, the Target Magnet is the magnet that is attached to the end of the camshaft. The Camshaft position sensor picks up a signal from the sensor as the camshaft spins and that's what triggers the sensor to send another signal to fire the spark at the proper time. The magnet is back in the recessed area in the head where the sensor mounts. The magnet housing has two dowel pins on the back to keep it in a precise alignment with the camshaft.

I have the repair manual that I bought from EBay and it shows the magnet and explains how it works, but I've not been able to find the magnet at any of the parts stores, it might be a dealer only part. It says that the magnet can crack sometimes and needs to be replaced, so I'm hoping that my problem is just the sensor, which I bought this morning.

I'd attach the pages if I had some way of extracting a page from a .pdf file, but I'm not too verse on how .pdfs work.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 12:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: have you ever heard

Thanks for your input. I, for one, will remember that if the question ever comes up again.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.