Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Salvaging the PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2006, 03:02 am
Young Cruiser

Default Salvaging the PT

Monday (9/25) has proven to be one of the worst days I've had in awhile.

One idiot made an illegal left turn in front of me. He was in the middle lane ahead of me, I was in the left.. All of a sudden, this guy turns left into a parking lot from the middle lane, and I t-bone him.

Insurance has yet to be too big a hassle. His insurance company called off the investigation the day after I gave them my claim. They accept 100% of the responsibility. They even gave me a nice little check for $500 for the minor abraison on my arm due to the airbag deploying. In my scenario however, the damage to the car just exterior and interior from what I understand is quoted at $7,000. I don't believe that cost covered the minor engine and whatever suspension damage. I say minor
engine damage, because I noticed my serpentine(?) belt, the one that drives all accessories, has been ripped off. I would imagine their has to damage to the pulley as well, but I do not know. Both airbags deployed. The exterior doesn't look too bad at all for being a 40mph impact.

Anyway.. My insurance company wants to count it as a total loss. I do not know how much I will be getting for the car. I've been shopping around for cars this whole weekend, but I have come to realize that I will not be getting anything as nice as I already had. I don't want another car, I just want my car back. I found this truck.. A completely redone Chevy Silverado 2500, and I like it because it's lifted and built tough for offroading.. However it just seems that 9 inches of lift and 12mpg is impractical.

I need to see if I can save my car, and I need as much advice as possible. First, how do I deal with the airbags? I'm sure I need new ones, right? Do I need a new steering wheel? I know I need an airbag cover for my passenger side. What do you think it would cost to buy my car back from insurance? If I do that, will they give me an even lower amount? I'm sorry for this ignorant ranting, but I just need something to vent this frustration.

The car has 95,000 miles and I know it will definately be needing a clutch within the next 5-10,000 miles. Would accepting the fact that I should get another car, be a good choice in my future? Is it even practical to rebuild?

Old 02 Oct 2006, 09:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I replied to you on another forum...
I would say if the geometry is screwed up (unibody), then scrap it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Oct 2006, 05:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

glad you werent hurt too bad ,
Old 02 Oct 2006, 07:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

1- looks like it did a good job protecting you.
2- looks like it gave it's 'life' to protect you.

Front end damage: Crush zones and engine pieces absorbed impact, and would be very expensive to correctly fix.

Sadly, you are in the =Insurance Screwed= zone. You had a properly maintained high-mileage used car.

Insurance companies want to pay book value. Not a dime more. Which means less then the real replacement price.

So you can take the check and go to a dealer and get on the payment treadmill again, or try to find a decent used something.

Either way, forget trying to fix the poor thing.
Just light a candle for it, and remember it fondly.

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 02 Oct 2006, 11:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had a similar car accident, but I was traveling slow enough that the airbags did not deploy. My insurance figured that the car could be repaired, so $10,000 + and a month later the car was brand new again.

In your case I'd get the check from your insurance, get a new vehicle you like, 0% for 6 years + $2,000 back + 100,000 mile warrenty, car dealers couldn't give vehicles away for less.

Then find out through the garage your PT is sitting in now, which scrapper picked up your PT. Find out how much it will cost you to salvage the car. Buy it back from the scrap yard, bring it back to a good garage, use the money your insurance gave you for your grief and get your PT repaired. You'll have your new car for daily driving and your PT that you'll be able to mod the hell out of now.
03 Black PT GT: BTG Strut Tower Brace, BTG Rear Anti Sway Bar, Psi-Fi Control Arm Bushings, H&R Wheel Spacers, Mopar Stage 2 Coilovers, Yokohama AVS ES100, Stage 1, Uppper Charge Pipe, Mopar Plastc Manifold.
Mods On The Way: AGP Wastegate Actuator
Old 03 Oct 2006, 09:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

She was good to you, kiss her goodbye!!
Old 04 Oct 2006, 01:39 am
Cool Cruiser

I think proxeyed PT could be repaired pretty easily. When I got in my accident the front end of my PT was worse. The radiator was pushed in the frame was bent and the hood was warped. From his pictures it looks like it was more of a front right impact, I was in a straight on collision. I'd go to a few garages and get an estimate. Years ago I slammed my first truck four wheeling into a dry riverbed and the damage was almost identical to proxe's PT. I shopped around and got my 4x4 truck fixed for $3,000 (1991 prices). That truck lasted me 4 more years. Just make sure that if they have to straighten the frame that you try to be around when they do it to make sure they do it right. I've seen some frame repairs that don't align the front wheels with the rear wheels and the drive is kind of crooked. So I think Proxe's PT is far from a long kiss goodbye, connect up the electrodes during a thunderstorm and resurrect that puppy
03 Black PT GT: BTG Strut Tower Brace, BTG Rear Anti Sway Bar, Psi-Fi Control Arm Bushings, H&R Wheel Spacers, Mopar Stage 2 Coilovers, Yokohama AVS ES100, Stage 1, Uppper Charge Pipe, Mopar Plastc Manifold.
Mods On The Way: AGP Wastegate Actuator