PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brake pads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Nov 2006, 10:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania
Default Brake pads

I was putting on my winter wheels and notice that my 18,000 mile front NAPA cermic brake pads are almost gone. I installed them 5/03/2005. Most of the 18,000 miles was highway driving on cruise control. My mechanic suggested Walker themo quiets. Any ideas on early wear on the ceramics? Also anybody heard about these Walkers?
Old 22 Nov 2006, 11:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Were those the full ceramics from NAPA? If so, they're supposed to be the Raybestos ceramics.
I had Raybestos ceramics on my '02 and got over 50,000 miles on them. I replaced the stock pads at about 30,000 miles, put the ceramics in, and at about 80,000 replaced everything - rotors & pads - the pads weren't gone, but since I was doing rotors....
I have a set of Raybestos ceramics for my '05 that I hope to put in this weekend.
NAPA has 3 pads for the PT - el cheapo, ceramic blend, full ceramic...

Could your pads be dragging? Were they evenly worn?[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Nov 2006, 11:18 am
Senior Cruiser

replaced front pads yesterday with Wagner thermo quiets. We'll see how they last. I did notice that my driverside pads were much lower than passenger side. Calliper may have been hanging up, no notice of pulling though when braking before.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 10:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I did my brakes Saturday/Sunday - 2 days? Well, yeah.
Saturday afternoon I put on the Raybestos ceramic pads. I put in the new shims that came with the pads. Took it for a test drive to seat the pads, and the screeshing was horrible! Like chalk on a blackboard! I knew it was the shims - took driver's side off, and compared ols & new shims - the new shims have a gap that's 1/8" to 1/4" narrower than the old shims!!! Since I have a turbo, the front disk is fatter - same pads, but different shims. Cleaned & put the old shims on driver's side, but was getting dark, so replaced passenger side Sunday.
Now, great braking, no noise, and no dust!
I got nearly 35,000 on the originals - no brake light, no wear indicator.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Nov 2006, 05:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

"35,000 on the originals " thats good !!
Old 27 Nov 2006, 07:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

So far Wagner Thermo Quiets live up to their name.
[?]
Old 28 Nov 2006, 10:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobs turbo pt

"35,000 on the originals " thats good !!
I know - I decided not to push my luck - and have to freeze putting on pads...
Old 30 Nov 2006, 07:28 am
Cool Cruiser

I installed raybestos pads and got the same screeching, ended up using the old shims as well. I've noticed some rattling when going over potholes. I was thinking of filing down the raybestos anti rattle clips for a better fit.

As for NAPA ceramic pads, not sure why they might wear quickly, are you a heavy on the brakes gonz?
03 Black PT GT: BTG Strut Tower Brace, BTG Rear Anti Sway Bar, Psi-Fi Control Arm Bushings, H&R Wheel Spacers, Mopar Stage 2 Coilovers, Yokohama AVS ES100, Stage 1, Uppper Charge Pipe, Mopar Plastc Manifold.
Mods On The Way: AGP Wastegate Actuator
Old 30 Nov 2006, 06:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

I don't think so but then you never think you're doing things wrong. It's a possibility[:I]
Old 02 Dec 2006, 05:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

The Pro Stop Ceramic pads came with the shims attached and never made a sound from when they were installed until now. They are low dusting as compared to the OEM pads, but seem to require more pedal pressure to stop. They do feel different from semi-metalic pads.