Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Want to replace steering wheel-need mechanic advic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2007, 07:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Want to replace steering wheel-need mechanic advic

Hi, Back in September 2006 my driver side airbag deployed on my 2003 PT touring. I was driving it just happened...month later same thing on the other side. Mind you, I didn't hit anything on both deployments.
Long story short, I have since cut them out and resumed living especially since Chrysler said they fix it because they don't feel its a problem of theirs. I am not fixing it because it will cost 4600 bucks.
[:I]
I still love the car a lot and want to replace a rather ghetto look on my steering wheel. I saw a few really nice (airbag-less) vintage looking Grant made steering wheels that would go well with planned Old School hot rod look that I eventually want to achieve.
Here's the question: Do I need anything specific to change the steering wheel? Hardware, special tools? I dont care about the airbag, as i alawys wear my seatbelt.
Old 15 Jan 2007, 06:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

1. that's illegal.
2. you will have issues when/if you ever sell it.
3. police can/will pull you over and impound the car
4. don't replace the bags until the deployment system has been diagnosed and repaired properly.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 15 Jan 2007, 08:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Also if in an accident and hurt, the insurance company probably won't cover you.