PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cabin air filter

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Feb 2007, 03:17 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Cabin air filter

31,000 miles back I installed a cabin air filter on my then nearly new PT. With 31,000 miles the filter, it looked pretty dirty, and I replaced it. I will change filter next at 25,000 of use. The new filter includes a housing, with no 'leaf strainer'. New filter comes with installation instructions, and costs about $17.00 from local Chrysler dealer. If you do your own service, plugs plug, plug wires, oil filter, and stuff like that, you should be able to do this job.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 05:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

I installed a cabin air filter on my '03 Turbo. I purchased the filter and housing online for about $20 (incl. shipping). When I went to install it, the filter in fit the housing that was already on the car. Does anyone know where to get a replacement filter without the housing?
Old 15 Mar 2007, 10:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Some time ago on this forum it was said that a Briggs & Stratton 5083 or equal tractor filter will and DOES fit . I installed one in my '02 with no problem. I also bought one as a spare and will replace the cabin filter in the '06 when needed. I think I paid between $10 - 12 for it at Home Depot.
Old 16 Mar 2007, 08:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This issue is exactly what I found with certain Honda motorcycle air filters. Honda wants to sell you (for $25) a whole plastic sub-assembly into which a small filter element is heat staked in place. Screw them! I cut out the old filter element, bought the nearest size K & N. A little cutting, a little glue, and it's been in use over five years now. Sounds like I may need to do the same here?
Old 18 Mar 2007, 04:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestions ... by the way it seems strange that the definition indicated that the cabin filter I purchased with the housing was "an OEM Chrysler part" even though there was NO cabin air filter offered for an '03 PT Cruiser when the car was purchased new!
Old 19 Mar 2007, 09:40 am
Fanatic Cruiser

[:I]another quirk with the PT.... My '03 had the housing already installed minus the filter??? I bought one a few years back & changed 2x's,,nice to know about the Briggs & Stratton filter because DC rips us off at dealer for $40.00 ouch!! another quirk is mine had wiring for 2nd horn minus horn? I also bought one and popped it in,,looks like they chopped stuff out to save $$$ Hopefully nothing important //?? is missing in the engine or safty features!!! [8)]MJB
Old 19 Mar 2007, 01:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

The cabin filter was export only; no domestic cars came with it but you can add it. The second horn was deleted the second or third year for cost savings, but it was cheaper to not change the wiring.
They have added/removed a number of things over the years, including cargo nets, lock cylinders, armrests, rear sway bar and other things. There are also different trim levels.
dougs likes this.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 28 Mar 2008, 11:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: Cabin air filter

I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them their jobs. I went to the local dealer and the parts guy after finding the filter, sans housing, looked up the price as $60.00 plus tax and immediately headed back to the store room to replace it on the shelf. Good thinking Partsguy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondTurbo View Post
31,000 miles back I installed a cabin air filter on my then nearly new PT. With 31,000 miles the filter, it looked pretty dirty, and I replaced it. I will change filter next at 25,000 of use. The new filter includes a housing, with no 'leaf strainer'. New filter comes with installation instructions, and costs about $17.00 from local Chrysler dealer. If you do your own service, plugs plug, plug wires, oil filter, and stuff like that, you should be able to do this job.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cabin air filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfakehany View Post
I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them their jobs. I went to the local dealer and the parts guy after finding the filter, sans housing, looked up the price as $60.00 plus tax and immediately headed back to the store room to replace it on the shelf. Good thinking Partsguy.
Moved from above posting!!
Some time ago on this forum it was said that a Briggs & Stratton 5083 or equal tractor filter will and DOES fit . I installed one in my '02 with no problem. I also bought one as a spare and will replace the cabin filter in the '06 when needed. I think I paid between $10 - 12 for it at Home Depot.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 01 Apr 2008, 04:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to outfit Send a message via Skype™ to outfit
Cool Re: Cabin air filter

Okay I see everyone here can do the job. I found the whole package on ebay Filter and housing for 17.86 with 7.00 and some change shipping. Some were asking for just Filter.Chrysler Part number 05058040AA, Wix p/n 700602..Dont know the price. If someone has problems I found this site Installing a Cabin Air Filter on an '03 PT Cruiser turbo...
1 -Hyper White 921 Superstar Bulbs from Autolumination
1 -Hyper White T10 Wedge 194 (Lic Pllate) Super White LED from Autolumination

Pioneer Head unit W/ HD & Satellite radio

2 - 7inch DVD/Headrests Monitors... dvd players built in the headrests
HID Lights 8000k 9006 for lows from xhidoutlet....
HID Slim 55w 6000K for high's from HIDGEEK.