Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
thinking of buying a GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2007, 03:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default thinking of buying a GT

hey all... I'm seriously thinking about picking up an '03 PT cruiser GT.. its got 28k miles, one owner, and a clear carfax. Its a 5-speed. Is there any issues with the '03's?? I know my friend who had an SRT-4 said the '03's had smaller injectors and a different tune. Can anyone kinda fill me in on what to expect with this car? What are the common issues? Are there any major differences between the 03's and the newer ones (04,05)?

I'm a mustang guy, and this is gonna be, more or less, my daily driver to help keep the Cobra nice, so I'd like some degree of reliability... I'm really just looking for a practical car with some power thats fun to drive, and this just seemed like everything that met my criteria. Thanks for your input!!
Old 10 Feb 2007, 10:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

hey, there havnt been any major problems or recalls on the 03, its a fun car to drive, and is great for hauling stuff around, or if you have and wife & kids plenty of room also. i think you would be very happy !! let us know if you buy the car good luck !![^]
Old 10 Feb 2007, 08:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I had a '03 GT 5 speed. Modified it to around 280 hp. A very fun car to drive. Planned on keeping it for a long time and get a '07 SRT-4, but they stopped making the SRT-4 Neon after '05 and so with a heavy heart I traded in the GT for a new '05 SRT-4 Neon. The GT would have been paid off by '07 and I could have afforded a '07 SRT-4 Neon, but they went to the SRT-4 Caliber for '07 and I didn't like the Caliber as an SRT-4. Still really miss my GT.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 11 Feb 2007, 04:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mean Green

I had a '03 GT 5 speed. Modified it to around 280 hp. A very fun car to drive. Planned on keeping it for a long time and get a '07 SRT-4, but they stopped making the SRT-4 Neon after '05 and so with a heavy heart I traded in the GT for a new '05 SRT-4 Neon. The GT would have been paid off by '07 and I could have afforded a '07 SRT-4 Neon, but they went to the SRT-4 Caliber for '07 and I didn't like the Caliber as an SRT-4. Still really miss my GT.
what did you have done to it to get that 280 hp?? is that 280 at the wheels or the crank?
Old 12 Feb 2007, 11:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There's no grief at all with an '03 - particularly since you're getting it with stick - if there is a weak spot, it's the auto.
Your friend is right - the '03 had smaller injectors - went from 215 HP for '03 to 220 HP in '04. In '06, got a new intake manifold and it's up to 230.
Look into getting Stage 1 - that'll come with new injectors and engine programming. Get the new intake manifold at the same time and you'll come within 20HP or so of Mean Green...[?]

I think you'll find it's not a slug stock.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Feb 2007, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

is there a good website to buy parts for these cars?
Old 12 Feb 2007, 01:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by love bandit2

The best is www.RaceAndStreet.Com
[?]

For Stage 1, suggest Haynes www.haynesspeedshop.com

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Feb 2007, 09:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by love bandit2

For genuine Mopar parts I would go to Haynes Speed Shop (http://www.haynesspeedshop.com/Store/home.php)

I bought an 03 used with the same mileage. Unfortunately mine got hit in the rear and is in the body shop getting a bit of a makeover.

My biggest issue with the car is the rear suspension and that will be
rectified while the car is in dry dock. The lack of a rear sway bar as well as the bouncy shocks and springs makes for some very squirly cornering in bumpy turns. It is not too expensive to fix though.

Old 25 Feb 2007, 01:41 am
Cool Cruiser

I have an '03 GT and I love it. It's quick too. I have a write up at my photo page here:
http://www.pbase.com/robinjoe/pt_cruiser

The '03 has a 7 year powertrain warranty. For a second owner, the '04 has only a three year powertrain warranty unless you pay to transfer the warranty (for second owner only).
http://www.chrysler.com/owners/index.html

I don't know how much the transfer fee is, but you'll definetly want to consider it.

Old 27 Feb 2007, 04:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by robinjoe

I have an '03 GT and I love it. It's quick too. I have a write up at my photo page here:

The '03 has a 7 year powertrain warranty. For a second owner, the '04 has only a three year powertrain warranty unless you pay to transfer the warranty (for second owner only).
http://www.chrysler.com/owners/index.html

I don't know how much the transfer fee is, but you'll definetly want to consider it.
...wait, so you're saying since I have an 03 I have a 7 year drivetrain warranty? or don't I?