Old 13 Feb 2007, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 30,000 mile maintenance

Hello:
I did not have the power steering flush at 24,000 but
now they want to do the transmission flush and service
for $400.00.
I work with someone who tells me this is not necessary
and to change the oil & filter and go on.
Any advice on this big service visit.
Thanks
Old 13 Feb 2007, 03:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, plenty of advice. Forget the power steering flush. I think they came up with that idea a couple years ago just to make more money at the dealership. On the other hand, the flush of the transaxle is well worth the $150 from most places....not the $400 wherever you got that price from. Be sure wherever you go (for a better price) that they use ATF+4 (dino oil) or ATF+5 (synthetic). That's all Chrysler recommends and almost anything else could cause trouble. You can probably wait a bit on that flush also unless your driving your PT hard. If your a normal driver, you can wait till around 50K for the flush.

Extra advice: during the flush of the transaxle, the filter is NOT changed as it's supposed to be cleaned when they run a can of cleaner thru the system before the flush. I paid extra to have the pan dropped and a new filter put on. But that's just me, and I plan to keep the cruiser for a long time.

One more thing. WELCOME to the forum. [^]

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 07:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Just do what the book says for Severe Service and you will be fine....
Old 14 Feb 2007, 12:16 am
Senior Cruiser

Be sure to have them check your coolant system and the thermostat. The manual states to get the power steering flushed and the coolant flushed at both 30,000 and 60,000 also 90,000, so every 30,000 miles. My thermostat went bad somewhere around 62,500. I just did my own flush of the radiator and replaced my thermostat, see (flushing radiator)in the tech and performance section.

I would recommend the tranny service, but also not for the 400. I have had mine service twice since purchase and the second time they found a leak in the system at about 50,000. I could tell the PT wasn't shifting correctly, needed the oil changed asked them to check it while it was lifted.

Make sure there honest. I took out the panel that covers the access to the headlamp bulbs. Told them I need them to check the brakes. They said the brakes were fine. Well if anyone would have looked at the wheels they would have seen that panel missing and the wires hanging out near the tires.

Test your dealership. If you can teach the mechanic something, then go somewhere else. That's what I had to do.

You've joined a great online club for alot of information. [?]
Old 15 Feb 2007, 01:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

One of the recurring themes on this forum is
Many of the Dealers are Crooks.

Check the owners manual for the severe service maintenance schedule. Get competitive bids on the service that is needed.

Best advice: Find a local independent shop you can trust. The Car Talk guys have a feature that can help.

http://cars.cartalk.com/content/mechx/

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 15 Feb 2007, 02:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Interesting the manual says to flush coolant every 30k? The antifreeze we use is HOAT 5yr/100k miles. Auto tranny flush every 30k is a necessity. Power steering flush every 30k? Dealer never pushed it on me and I didn't see it in the book. You DON'T have to go by severe use if you don't drive in those conditions. Go by where and how you drive. Only do what is in the owner's manual as the dealer will push all kinds of "specials" at you. We just had the 60k service on my wife's '04 PT and with the major tranny flush (with the machine), my changing the plugs, a K&N filter that doesn't need to replaced and their doing the inspection of several components it came to just a little over $200.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic