PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
"Miss"ing PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Mar 2007, 11:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default "Miss"ing PT

Hello all,
My wife and I have had our Cruiser for about 6months. We're happy with it, but recently it's developed a miss. The Chrysler garage did $167.00 worth of work to it, but didn't change the plugs or wires...needless to say, the miss is still there. My dad doesn't really think it should require a tune up so early (it's only got 46,000 miles) but I don't know where else to look. I've heard that PT's go through plug wires quickly, is that true? If so, any idea why? or any suggestions as to which ones to use??
Old 06 Mar 2007, 12:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome to the board !! i would do the plugs & wires for sure !! i think your " miss" will be gone !! keep us posted !! [8)]
Old 06 Mar 2007, 12:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Most of us have found that replacing the plugs & wires have made our PT's very happy. DO NOT get OEM plug wires. Spend the extra and get some aftermarket performace wires. I used Crane wires and Champion Double Platinum plugs. When you change, be sure to use Dielectric grease and Anti-sieze.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 06 Mar 2007, 01:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You should have some angry words with the Chrysler dealer. As you've heard, and the posts here say, the stock wires are the most likely culprit. Ask them WHY they didn't do the most obvious fix? (But do it after you replaced wires and proved it).
I've had 2 PTs, wires went bad on both - one made it to about 30,000 miles, the other they started to go at 20,000 miles! Buy Crane wires at www.RaceAndStreet.Com and they really last.
Buy new plugs and do it all yourself:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...219&mode=guest

If you have a PT '03 or later, you won't have the "modesty cover" or the EGR connection, and if you have a turbo, it's easier still....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Mar 2007, 02:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

You should have some angry words with the Chrysler dealer. As you've heard, and the posts here say, the stock wires are the most likely culprit. Ask them WHY they didn't do the most obvious fix? (But do it after you replaced wires and proved it).
I've had 2 PTs, wires went bad on both - one made it to about 30,000 miles, the other they started to go at 20,000 miles! Buy Crane wires at www.RaceAndStreet.Com and they really last.
Buy new plugs and do it all yourself:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...219&mode=guest
CYoung,

I would echo Don's suggestion and force the dealership to make it right. It is true you can do it yourself but the principle of the matter is that you already paid them to resolve the problem -- and they didn't!. Go directly to the service manager. Be firm. If he is honorable at all he will make it right and not charge you for it. You are returning work that was not done correctly. If you don't get a decent response from the service manager go straight to the customer service manager, then to the GM. If this is five-star dealership, they have to do right by you.

Make as much noise as you need to. Remember, the "squeaky wheel gets the oil". I've learned in my lifetime that whether I find it comfortable or not, at times I have no choice but to become the "customer from hell" in order to get businesses to do what they should naturally do without any prompting from me.
Old 06 Mar 2007, 04:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Only 1 thing wrong comPuTer -
He'll only get stock wires from a dealer. You can ask if you supply wires if they'll put them in, but I don't think they will.[:I]
Old 08 Mar 2007, 10:04 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Only 1 thing wrong comPuTer -
He'll only get stock wires from a dealer. You can ask if you supply wires if they'll put them in, but I don't think they will.[:I]
Don,

I agree. I was just tyring to address the principle of the matter. If you take your vehicle in for service and they claim they addressed the problem -- but didn't -- they need to make it right and at their expense!

If Cyoung presses the matter hard enough and the dealer has any ethics at all, perhaps they would compensate him for all this trouble by paying for the better wires - or at least installing what he wants and giving a credit for the stock wires.

(BTW. at my first tune-up I replaced my wires with the Crane's per your suggestion. The wires plus the double platinum plugs gave the Cruiser renewed vigor)