Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sudden whining out of my turbo pt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Mar 2007, 08:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Sudden whining out of my turbo pt

I lease a turbo pt 2005....today i was driving and decided to pass someone.....and while accelarating a loud whining noise came out of the engine area....something i never heard before.......it went away when i was driving normal....but any accelaration and the the loud whing noise came alive again.....i will take it in to the dealer tomorrow....but since it is 10 miles away im afraid it mite not make it.......anyone have a clew to my problem....???? TIA
Old 12 Mar 2007, 07:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome, Cyndy-
Whining or a screech? Whining might be a slipping belt. [:I]
Do let us know what dealer finds.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Mar 2007, 11:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome to the board, like don said maybe a belt and not the turbo ?? was it raining or or damp maybe it was the belt squealing ?? let us know what happens good luck !!
Old 12 Mar 2007, 03:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well i took it in this morning......and while i was driving to the dealer....the noise disappeared but the turbo wasnt kicking in any more......and a couple of hours later the dealer sed we gotta replace da turbo ......bad bearing in the turbo........well thats a relief.....he never saw that problem before......all covered under da warrantee..........5 years or 50000 miles corinthean leather....not......snort
Old 12 Mar 2007, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think that's only the second or third turbo failure I've read about.
Do you use synthetic oil? You should....
Glad you're under warranty.[?]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 08:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

I think that's only the second or third turbo failure I've read about.
Do you use synthetic oil? You should....
Glad you're under warranty.[?]
my turbo failed at 25,000 miles. i think what it boils down to is - either you get a good or bad turbo from the factory/chrysler's supplier. although i use synthetic oil, i don't think the use of synthetic matters on turbos (like mine) that fail well before 30,000 miles. chrysler should investigate their turbo supplier. if the turbos are hand assembled, maybe there is a procedure flaw in the fitment of the bearing(s). my 2 cents.
gt model, modified airbox with cold air induction, magnecor plug wires, tyc b/up lenses, chrome grille kit, retro 3d taillights painted steel blue, buick-style portholes, nomad chevy trunk trim, blue interior light strips, and massive turned down diesel-type exhaust tip.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pppt03turbo
although i use synthetic oil, i don't think the use of synthetic matters on turbos (like mine) that fail well before 30,000 miles. chrysler should investigate their turbo supplier. if the turbos are hand assembled, maybe there is a procedure flaw in the fitment of the bearing(s). my 2 cents.
Have to agree with you. I meant it for long term longevity of the turbo, now that he's getting a new one. To fail so soon is clearly a manufacturing flaw.

Old 13 Mar 2007, 11:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

glad you got it fixed and lets hope no other troubles for you !! [^]
Old 20 Mar 2007, 11:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Mine started whirring the other day. Checked all fluids, they are fine, but with the whirring, I get a popping noise as well. First thing my hubby said was bad bearing in the turbo. Unfortunately, mine is no longer under warranty. (Road warrior here....lol)Just wondering if any of ya'll know if that would fall under powertrain? I am guessing not, but worth a shot........it (the whirring and popping sound) is usually really loud with acceleration,(none when idling, except the popping rattling noise, almost like a loose something) but it doesn't really accelerate well going uphill. Any suggestions? (FYI, it used to do an engine rev on its own) BTW, it is an 05 Convertible Touring, Light Almond.
Old 20 Mar 2007, 02:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Rayvn, I'd still try the dealer. You never mentioned how many miles you have on it. It would be a streach, BUT maybe it would be covered under emission warranty.

BTW: Welcome to the Forum[^] [^] [^]