Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replaced Thermostat &Cap.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2007, 01:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replaced Thermostat &Cap.....

and the damn thing still starts to overheat. Goes beyond the midway "normal" spot then the cooling fans kick into overdrive. What can it be? It has a Chrysler t-stat and a standt 18psi cap. I'm at a loss, car has been down for a month as I waited for parts....I NEED 2 CARS!!! Need to get this fixed FAST. Oh, I am stationed in Germany, so parts aren't that easy to get
Old 21 Mar 2007, 05:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The water has to be moving around thru the system to keep it cool. As it passes thru the radiator, air flow cools it down. if the thermostat has been changed, there's something stopping the flow, meaning a clog somewhere or could be your water pump.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 06:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

What Crewzin said or could be air bound (pocket of air preventing the coolant from moving through the system)if the air was not bled from the system when the new thermostat was installed.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 22 Mar 2007, 02:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Suggestions on how to bleed the cooling system? Any ideas on how to change the main drive belt? I cant find the top bolt on the alternator.
Old 22 Mar 2007, 10:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i think it might be the water pump [xx(]
Old 29 Mar 2007, 09:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My p.t kept overheating. It ran fine sometimes but when i would stop the resevoir would leak on to my engine, or it would gurgle. I replaced thermo., rad. cap, fan relays, fan, had my radiator checked professionally, and it still overheated. The last thing on my list was the water pump. They don't leak on the p.t., so you can't be sure untill you check everything. I finally changed out the water pump this weekend, if you have the time and know how you can do it, i did, but be prepared to spend a lot of time, there's no room to work in there. Personally if you have the money, get it done professionally.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 09:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

there is a valve on the bottom right hand side of your thermo, use a #10 socket with an extension ratchet. turn it slightly to the right with the motor running. You should get water spouting out if it's o.k., if there is air in the system then steam will blow out. be careful either way you could get burned. if you get steam, then leave the valve open for a few minutes until water comes out. this may help.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 10:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Or, do a compression check. A leaking head gasket can cause overheating, even when you don't notice rough running. Used to be you could run the engine with the radiator cap off. When you raced it bubbles would appear. You might try it, but it doesn't work so well with todays closed systems. Be careful! Don't remove the cap when it's hot! [8D]