PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Warning: Possible Disaster!! **PLEASE READ!**

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2002, 09:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Warning: Possible Disaster!! **PLEASE READ!**

There have been reports of fuel line rupture due to the fuel line rubbing and melting from the heat from the air conditioning unit. Read the below URL:

http://ptenthusiasts.org/PTForums/sh...threadid=16680

Believe the early 2001's had this problem and using a plastic tie around the fuel line and power steering hose will keep the hose away from the air conditioning lines and throttle cable:

The late 2001 and early 2002 are routed farther away but there may be some rubbing between the throttle cable and fuel line:

And the current late model 2002 have a clip installed between the throttle cable and fuel line:

2002 Almond Pearl Limited Edition 27K

Edited by - Sci-Fi on 07/03/2002 08:56:55
Old 03 Jul 2002, 09:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sci-Fi,
Wonder how come they changed the air-conditioning lines between years? The black plastic caps used for technician hook-ups on the lines are in different places. I wonder if Chrysler ran the air lines a little different in the later models because they knew there was a problem?

Edited by - crewzin on 07/03/2002 20:43:50
Old 03 Jul 2002, 11:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The answer to that could be 2 things,

(1)the air conditioner cap was hard to access if the PT had cruise control. Compare the top picture with the middle one, and you can see if the top PT had cruise control there would be a problem with access and removal of the cap would be a bear too, not to mention hooking up the gauges and refill or recapture (vacuum) hoses. So relocating the fitting makes sense. Production line changes and using improved designs are pretty commonplace.

(2) From what I understand the early 2001's were considered pre-production models, so one could expect some misrouting or wrong lengths of hoses plus on-going design changes as production increased. But looking at the top photo, anybody can see that is a big mistake to route the fuel line like that. It could be that the fuel lines were cut to length by the assembly workers and in the rush of assembly, longer hoses ended up being used or the fuel line manufactorer delivered the wrong length hose. The current fuel line itself is made of pretty stiff material and appears to be a pre-formed and pre-cut. It could have been bolted or clipped to the wheelwell as well as the current solution of clipping it to the throttle cable. If you notice the throttle cable is a shorter design too.

2002 Almond Pearl Limited Edition 27K

Edited by - Sci-Fi on 07/03/2002 22:27:23
Old 04 Jul 2002, 11:39 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to renichms

What is considered early 2001? When looking at mine, nothing really looks worn. I got it in June of 2000, but it obviously would have been made before that. One line has a tiny bit of wear in the braiding stuff around it, but after 50,000 miles with only that, I don't think I have a problem...

RN

See Mephisto
Old 05 Jul 2002, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sci-Fi,
Wow, I'm like a kid again with a new toy. Just picked up a digital camera yesterday and it's fantastic. Took a picture (below) of the air conditioning lines. I have cruise-control and that doesn't seem to be in the way of the black caps to recharge the air, but what might be in the way is the strut bar. It's hard to tell with the angle of this shot but the bar is almost on top of the rear black cap. Also, you can just about see where the fuel line red plastic cover was touching the lines also. Hardly noticable, but it was rubbing so I'll keep an eye on it.

Closed Thread