PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tire problem

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2002, 02:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tire problem

I have upgraded to 18" rims and tires. I am having a hard time getting them balanced. The steering wheel begins to shimmy at 65 and smooths out at 70 - 75.

Has anyone had problems upgrading their wheels?

Edited by - ptstylinnh on 07/13/2002 13:21:35
Old 14 Jul 2002, 03:47 am
Regular Cruiser

The issue I've had was wheels pulling to the left at 60 mph after I had it lowered (inch and a half) and put on a new set of wheels and tires. Had an alignment done also and the Idiots screwed up. they balanced and rotated them and things got worse. the steering wheel was shaking at 40 mph. Took it back and when I got it back it was still pulling to the left. Took my car to another dealership that new what they were doing, they checked the alignment and found that it was way off. Your problem could be a bad tire or an alignment issue.

Old 02 Aug 2002, 06:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Is the car lowered also? Or you just have rims on it? If you just have rims have them balance them again and try to watch them do it. ptstylinnh,
To see if they really are doing it for one thing. Two if it takes more them two times to get it right. Give them back everything, get your money back and go back to stock and find a more qualified establishment. There are plenty of vendors who want your business out there.

Blue,
You might want to invest into a chamber/caster kit ( MOSS ) When you lower a car it offsets the adjustments and sometimes the Alignment place, if there any good will tell you that it needs that kit in order to get it in specs to run straight. Some Dealerships will align you car with aftermarket rims, you should ask.
Gman

Old 03 Aug 2002, 01:11 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks Gman, they did install a camber kit cost me $127. The 2nd place I took it has taken care of the problem. The alignment was out of whack.

Old 03 Aug 2002, 05:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

There is a retainer clip on one stud for each brake rotor/brake drum that needs to be removed. Most aftermarket wheels do not have a cavity to compensate for the clip as the OEM wheels do. May solve your vibration problems at speed.
Closed Thread