PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hitch mounted bike carrier?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2002, 11:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hitch mounted bike carrier?

I'm a avid bicycle rider and a new PT owner. I really hate the thought of mounting a roof rack on my pert-y PT. I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with hitch mounted carriers, particularly on the PT. I notice there is a 1 1/4", and a 2" choice for recievers. Any recommendations?

Old 30 Aug 2002, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just bought one, and it works very well. Call Rack Warehouse 800-272-5362 or do a google search for them. The 1-1/4" and 2" refers to the size of your hitch receiver. You need to check what you have, but it is most likely a class 1 hitch, which is 1-1/4 inches square, rather than 2 inches square. Mine is a Thule model 947, which will carry 2 bikes. You would have to have the 2 inch hitch to carry more than 2 bikes. I like the way the rubber tie downs are designed on the Thule. Our bikes have not been scratched one bit by their system. You will need a couple of bungie cords to secure the front wheel from blowing around, and a cable lock would be nice to lock the bikes to the hitch rack. It has a metal loop for the cable lock. Most of the hitch racks will also unlatch and lay back so that you can open the rear PT hatch. You have to have the bikes off the rack to do this however. I can get my hatch partially open to reach in for small items without moving the bike rack, but it won't open very far.

I am not affialiated with Rack Warehouse, but I think they treated me well. There were a couple of problems, but they actually called me and gave me the option to cancel my order. I am glad I didn't. $136.00 shipping included vs over $150 at a local discount sporting goods store. Target has one for about $100. I would check out how solid it looks and how the bike tie downs are designed. The Thule is very solid.

Closed Thread