PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
painting plastics

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2003, 07:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default painting plastics

besides cleaning/degreasing it, should a primer be used? Do i need to scuff it up first? How about using a bonding agent first? TIA!

Kevin & Donna's Elec Blue GT

http://www.dreamcruisers.org/index/Page_1x.html
Old 27 Mar 2003, 09:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've read that scuffing will help with adhesion and primimg will give you better adhesion as well as a better finish. Remeber several thin coats are best!

03' Electric blue GT to many mods to list here check out under bio.
Cruise on!
Old 29 Mar 2003, 01:03 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Check out a body shop/paint supply store. There are bonding primers for plastic in aerosol cans. Also have flexible primers for plastic.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 10:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I just saw a new Krylon paint for plastic advertised on T.V. today. I don't remember what it's called or the colors it comes in, but I'm sure that you can find some. It sure looked like the answer to many questions about painting PT Cruiser parts.

DB aka Basset Hound

Pics at: http://members4.clubphoto.com/don284358/
Old 29 Mar 2003, 11:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

I used Plasti-Cote Primer for all of my parts and the Mopar Touch-Up spray cans and it worked great. The primer can be purchased in most Auto Parts stores.The one thing I had to do out of the norm is spray the Mopar paint fairly heavy to get the shine and gloss correct. Light coats don't work well with that paint...ghets a haze on it and even the clear coat top coat will not get it glossy. I learned that by trial and error.

"PT4U2NV"

Old 31 Mar 2003, 05:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

thanks all! Local dealer didn't have any so I went and had some paint mixed up and put in spray cans. Now to begin painting everything in site!

Kevin & Donna's Elec Blue GT

http://www.dreamcruisers.org/index/Page_1x.html
Old 01 Apr 2003, 06:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Start with a good thorough clean, and I mean thorough!!! Then use a plastic adhesion primer and if the plastic is soft of flexible, a flex additive to give the paint more 'give'.

Crusin in the coolest car in the world...
Old 08 Apr 2003, 09:17 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:
I used Plasti-Cote Primer for all of my parts and the Mopar Touch-Up spray cans and it worked great. The primer can be purchased in most Auto Parts stores.The one thing I had to do out of the norm is spray the Mopar paint fairly heavy to get the shine and gloss correct. Light coats don't work well with that paint...ghets a haze on it and even the clear coat top coat will not get it glossy. I learned that by trial and error.
Thanks for this tip...getting those 4 cans of Chrysler Aquamarine so I can paint the central radio bezel and a few other things to match the dash panels after our baby gets here, so I'd love to hear details from everybody who's done this to their PT. I really don't want to do it if it's not going to look as good as factory...can't stand the thought of possibly messing it up! I had the 'proper spray painting method' drilled into me early on (lots of thin coats) so I'm gonna have to find something small to practice on first if it needs to be done heavy. Coupla questions more: What kind of final clear-coat should I use? I really want this to look as though it were done at the factory. Also wondering if I need to find one of those "trim stick" tools referred to on PTDIY...are they available at chain stores like AutoZone, etc.? Thanks....it's gonna take me awhile to work my way up to doing this.

beebs

Old 09 Apr 2003, 01:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The "trim stick" is like a sturdy plastic knife for wedging pieces apart without marking them. If you got something that will do that (wood shim), you don't need a trim stick. After your painted trial pieces dry well, bend and twist them to check for paint adhesion. If taking car apart, seriously consider a shop manual. Drop by a dealer and get the part # off the back and order from www.kollerdodgeparts.com for best price.
Closed Thread