PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is your Chrome pitting?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2003, 06:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Is your Chrome pitting?

At just over 500 miles, I decided to give my first coat of wax to my new PT GT. It gave me a chance to really look it over and see how the paint was holding up. I found that my door handles and one of my headlight reflectors was already starting to pit.....

Here is where the headlight reflector is starting to pit on the inside

Here is a Garmin Street Pilot III Color GPS with auto route and voice prompting:

2003 Onyx Green PT-GT
Stock (so far...)

Edited by - Dalite on 04/12/2003 17:32:39
Old 12 Apr 2003, 07:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Steve03GT

David, that sux. What recourse do you have with D-C, if any? Sorry to hear about this, let us know if D-C will replace these parts or exhibit their normal "screw you" attitude.

'03 GT Cruiser,White w/ Auto Stick, K&N w/ Mod. Air Box,Alpine XM radio
'02 Corvette (555netHP)
Member of 11sec. club &
NRA Patron Member
Old 12 Apr 2003, 08:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I will pprobably get an answer next week sometime.

My VIN falls in the recall range for the Clutch Recall. I called DC Friday morning and they verified that it needed the recall. I called the dealership, and they have no info on what parts to order. They will get back in touch as soon as they get some info from DC.

The service manager said he would prefer the customer not pay so much attention to the internet groups, and then call them about recalls before they know about them. Very Encouraging.....

I hoped to get the first oil change and convert to synthetic oil at 1000 miles, and have the recall done at the same time.

I will post the results....

2003 Onyx Green PT-GT
K&N Drop-In Air Filter
Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio System
Garmin Street Pilot III Color GPS
Old 12 Apr 2003, 08:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

my dealer gave me a call about the recall on thursday and replaced thr clutch today. they also threw in a free oil change ...just turned 1000 miles. sofar so good dealing with them. sorry to see about the pitting problem, i hope it gets taken care of.
ote

Old 13 Apr 2003, 04:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Dalite,

Had the same thing on left side of my GT, driver and passenger handles, the rims and just on the left side of the chrysler emblem on the tail gate. Didn't want to take the car to the dealer so I tried every chrome cleaner on the market. Nothing worked. It's almost as if its under the chrome, it feels so smooth. I finally took it to the dealer and they brought out their heavy guns, the detailer with his mighty buffer. Didn't work so they ordered the door handles, emblem and rims. Took it in for replacement and when I picked it up they replaced everything but the rims. Now they said they buffed up the rims and they really shine! Hated to tell them but they shined before but the rust was still there. Manager was gone so I had to bring it in for another visit. Manager comes out with a little bottle of chrome cleaner and tried his darnest but the rust didn't go away. Order the rims he said. Apparently they never ordered them the first time. So once again I had to bring it back in for the rims which they finally replaced. Your chrome is exactly what I had, dealer will replace. Good luck. By the way, I finally figure out that the 5 star is a rating out of 10 stars!!

2003 Electric Blue GT
Old 13 Apr 2003, 08:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Glad to hear you got yours fixed. I will find out how many of the Five Stars my dealer braggs about are still shinning next week.

I think you are on to something in the 5 Stars out of 10 concept.

2003 Onyx Green PT-GT
K&N Drop-In Air Filter
Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio System
Garmin Street Pilot III Color GPS
Old 14 Apr 2003, 09:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Dang Dalite, that really sucks! I have about 2500 miles and no problems like that at all. My thoughts are 1. Maybe it's that color, 2. Maybe they didn't complete one of the clearcoats on your car, or 3. Acid rain, or some such, like tree sap?

If I saw that I would have thought the person scrubbed with something too abrasive or detergent too corrosive, but that would mess up more than just those few places.

Closed Thread