PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clutch locked up/ recall

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2003, 08:00 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Clutch locked up/ recall

last night at a stop light my clutch locked up, I guess they were right about it "possibly" failing. Had to have the car towed to dealership. When she goes, she goes fast> ANYONE WITH A 5 SPEED AND A RECALL NOITICE DON'T DRIVE UNLESS YOU ARE GOING DIRECTLY TO DEALERSHIP. WARNING> TURBOMANGT

Old 22 Apr 2003, 01:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Had you been "abusing" it (having fun) at all when I happened or just driving easy? I took mine in this AM for some paint touchup and I hope they have time to do it over the next couple of days that my car is there. I have been very un-impressed so far with the level of service from my dealer's service service dept. I didn't ask if they have parts in stock for it, guess I should have. (Tustin Dodge/Chrysler in case anyone is thinking of buying)

Inferno Red GT, chrome wheels, chrome AMP fuel door, chrome side spears, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, silencers removed from airbox...ain't this car fun?!?!?

Edited by - Cal Cruzer on 04/22/2003 17:18:33
Old 23 Apr 2003, 02:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

How many miles on the clock when it locked up, and approx how many miles driven since first noise heard?

Mine started making noises at 800 miles, then after about 100 miles the noise went away. I now have over 1,300 miles on it, and I am trying to wait until the dealership has done one of the recalls before I send mine in to be a test platform.

I need to take it in for the first oil change, and have Synthetic oil put in it, but hate to leave it with them and have to rent a car until they have it repaired. They want to keep it for at least 1 entire day, as they have never done the recall before, and apparently haven't replaced a Clutch/Flywheel in a PT Cruiser before...

You would think that a Dealership that sells new and used would consider giving a loaner off the used lot while doing a recall that will take at least a day...

At 50 miles away (one-way) it would be a 200 mile tour to get someone to follow me down, bring me back home, take me back to pick it up and then return home again. Looks like rental is going to be cheaper than tow truck...

If this was a perfect world, I would have them relace the front bumper where they torqued the front license plate Bracket on, using flanged wood screws, replace the door handles and headlight reflector that have blemishes/pitting, and update it to 2002 model year standards by restoring the deletions they made from the 2002 TE build-up that Chrysler announced the GT would start life as...

But, not a perfect world, and you have pay for their mistakes...

2003 Onyx Green PT-GT
K&N Drop-In Air Filter
Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio System
Garmin Street Pilot III Color GPS

Edited by - Dalite on 04/23/2003 13:58:02
Old 24 Apr 2003, 07:42 am
Dedicated Cruiser

My car has 7,500 miles (2003 Turbo) The car did NOT show any symtoms at all like you were saying, it happened like all of the sudden. It just locked up. My dealer was really great. They paid for towing, gave me a loaner car, and had it fixed in a day. They did 4 of these recalls before I came in. HUGE difference in the clutch now. It requires some getting used to. It feels much softer, the gears seem smoother as well. I guess I'm lucky that I was in town when this happend and not on a trip. GARY > turbomangt

Old 27 Apr 2003, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[8)]
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Luckily, I had mine replaced on Wednesday (4/23). I guess the guy at the dealership was right to put the fear of God into me as he told me that I should not drive it until I got it fixed. I did not originally know about it. I had gone in for an oil change and the first thing the service rep did was tell me about the recall. My "Almond Joy" was out of service for a week as the dealership at first did not have the parts and then I could not get back to the dealership.

Some of the people with the PTC of Silicon Valley were kidding me that I should have got an automatic, but I cannot drive a car with a slush box.
Old 27 Apr 2003, 02:47 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

My GT Turbo was built 1/31/03 and now has over 2300 miles on it. It appears to be shifting "OK" and I have not noticed anything unusual. I have not received a recall notice. Can I expect to experience clutch problems at some later date or is my car "free of the clutch defect?" Thanks.[:I]
Old 27 Apr 2003, 06:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

You can call DC and see if your car was part of the recall.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 27 Apr 2003, 07:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Calling DC won't answer question either ! I did mine "wasn't" on list ! Then right before going on vacation 2 weeks ago car made awful racket and bad vibes in clutch pedal 2 x in 2 days. Returning home from vaction ( didn't take cruiser) I had recall notice in my mail. I'm scheduled for replacement this Friday.
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 27 Apr 2003, 10:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Dalite, the rental should be free because of the recall... it should be like any warranty work.. at least that's the way it is at my dealership.
Cal Cruzer, let the manager know or go some place else...
Old 28 Apr 2003, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does anybody know if this have happened to 2002 models?

Regards,
Closed Thread