PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Manifold cover

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2003, 03:23 am
Young Cruiser

Default Manifold cover

How the heck do I remove my upper intake manifold cover for painting?

-- E --
Old 28 Apr 2003, 09:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you go here: http://www.ptdoityourself.net/ and do a search, you will find that there are two ways to take off the upper manifold. The original way was posted some time ago and then someone found an easier way so you don't have to undo so many different items. I'm afraid you'll have to use the long way if you intend to remove the manifold completely for painting. The instructions were for people to be able to change spark plugs and wires and not completely remove the manifold. It's not hard, but you have to have the right tools and a torque wrench for some of the bolts.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 01:36 am
Young Cruiser

[:I]Okay, Crew ol' boy. I hate to lay this on you but you seem to be the guru and I seem to be blind, stupid, or some unfortunate combination of the two. So, that being said, all I can find on PTDIY is "there are three rubber grommets that hold the cover in place so just pop that baby off," or something to that effect. I can't find any grommets on the upper intake manifold cover of my '02 PT or anything rubber. Wanna help? Great, I knew you'd say yes! Oh yeah, anybody else that wants to help, that's cool too.[:I]

-- E --
Old 29 Apr 2003, 03:31 am
Fanatic Cruiser

This is based on the assumption that your "upper intake manifold cover" is the "engine modesty cover".
You can't see the rubber grommets because they're under the cover.

Go to the PTDIY link, click on "PT Guides", go down to "Under Hood Guides", go further down and click on "OEM Engine (2002) Modesty Cover Installation Guide". This will show you where the grommets are under the cover. Pull up in these regions to pop off the cover.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hold on everybody......Kammler68 I was under the impression that you wanted to paint the upper manifold...you found the instructions on PTDIY to take off the "modesty" cover. Keep searching for instructions to take off the upper manifold...it will probably under "changing spark plugs" because to change plugs, the upper manifold has to be almost completely taken off and it's just a matter of a couple of small parts before the whole upper intake comes off.

I just went to PTDIY and typed "spark plugs" into the search window. The first instruction that comes up is the installation of the plugs with a "how to" of taking off the upper manifold.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 08:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanx Crewzin, I did like you said and got all the info I need. You are truely the sheppard of the stupid.

-- E --
Old 29 Apr 2003, 09:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Awwww shucks it tweren't nothin glad I could help.

Closed Thread