Advertisements
Rear Stabilizer Bar petition now on line

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jun 2003, 10:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Rear Stabilizer Bar petition now on line

http://www.petitiononline.com/2003stab/petition.html

If you are interested in joining an action to see if we have enough interest to pursue a Class Action against Daimler Chrysler over the deletion of the Rear Stabilizer Bar, please visit the site above and add your name to the petition. Email addresses are helpful in helping verify, and aren't displayed (If I did things right).
Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:40 am
Cool Cruiser

I want to wish you good luck with your quest. I must tell you from 20 years experience with Chrysler ( Service Manager ) they don't do this kind of thing without clearing it with their legal department. A friend who is a current Chrysler Service Manager has received a letter stating that no warranty claims will be paid for rear sway bars on 2003 models and they consider this matter closed. I'm not trying to discourage you but you are up against a multi billon dollar corporation that doesn't care because they already have your money
Old 17 Jun 2003, 09:20 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Greg,
I appreciate your candor and honesty on the sway bar issue. I feel like the problem will eventually reach critical mass; like most other problems that Chrysler has swept under the rug such as minivan fuel pumps, clock spring issues, paint, etc.

The only variable that may not work in the current owner's favor is that they (Chrysler) have been recognized as the manufacture most likely to issue a recall or take corrective measures some 5,10,15 years in the future; when warranty has expired and the car isn't owned by original purchaser.

As long as someone takes a stand at pointing out the situation, there is a possibility that Chrysler will not be as empowered to push the envelope in ignoring other customer concerns. It also lets the public make their own decision about future purchased based on past performance when it comes to customer service issues.

So far, we haven't even brought up the other deletions that have reduced the overall satisfaction level that once was one of the PT Cruiser's main appeal.

But you do have a good point. If I could send out a letter to all my friends saying an apple was an orange, and get by with it, I would buy a postage meter just to get the satisfaction of the power of persuasion.

Fortunately, most service department employees know different, and for the same reason that they are moving on to greener pastures, rather than further sacrificing their integrity, they will most likely be players if this ever blossoms into an issue that Chrysler is forced to contend with.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 11:42 am
Young Cruiser

Dalite
May I suggest that we ask Jody to make this topic, temporarily, a sticky so it doesn't get buried.
GT Turbo Inferno Red Loaded, Chrome Grill, Billet Fuel Door,Blanes Hood Struts,Chrome side spears & shorty antenna, K&N, MGW chrome a/c knobs,lock pins,PT lighter, Eject power plug and GT plate frame, Weathertech Visors, PT MudFlaps,Alpine Stereo&Amps MB Quart & JLSub, BTG Intake, ShadowDot center console cover
Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I think a sticky is in order. I was hesitant to suggest it myself, but I would put in my vote in that direction.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 02:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Dalite

I and every other Good service department employee really resent your comment about integrity. I never compromised my integrity to work in a dealer service department. You must think everyone who works in a car dealer is a crook.. Well you have no idea what you are talking about. The dealer I worked for has now been in business for over 50 years. You don't stay in business that long by trying to cheat your customers. Don't paint the service department as the bad guys in this because Chrysler ( The manufacturer ) won't give you what you want
Old 17 Jun 2003, 09:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Grouch,

What you refer to is the integrity I am talking about. Those who have it will only stay with a job that treats people fairly. Being in business for 50 years speaks volumes for a dealer's integrity. The customers (and employees) would have left the ship long befor that if they were both forced to compromise their values. You provide living proof in support of my premise.

Here is what I said:

"Fortunately, most service department employees know different, and for the same reason that they are moving on to greener pastures, rather than further sacrificing their integrity, they will most likely be players if this ever blossoms into an issue that Chrysler is forced to contend with."

If you will look, I said that those who feel differently (about the course they are forced to take when confronted by issues as sway bar deletion, warranty being voided for using Mopar parts, having to tell a customer there is no point problem, no clockspring problem, no fuel pump problem,... etc.) are the ones who don;t sacrifice their integrity, and move on to greener pastures.

Although I haven't been a service department employee for a dealership, I have been involved at the port level with a car manufacturer before, as well as associated with various service agencies and contracting service for the private sector, business and government.

I have attended the school of hard knocks also, and have a fairly good idea of what works and what doesn't work. This isn't about me. All comments about the service department are not a result of Chrysler not giving me what I want. So far, on the 03 model, all I have requested from the dealer is information, and I have been provided that. With the exception of the ruined front bumper from the license plate holder on the GT, I have not been refused by any dealer, anything I have requested. When I asked my dealer about the sway bar, I got their official refusal. I knew it was a Chrysler controlled item, and not the dealerships. It gave them the chance to install it for the sake of customer satisfaction, and by them taking the option of refusal, it allowed me to evaluate the option of further purchases. It is a fairly simple concept; treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. If a request is not possible, a simple explanation of why it is not possible is usually all that I would ever ask for.

If you resent my comments, I am sorry. My comments were in praise of the integrity of good service department employees. If that is a cause for resentment, then you, not me, need to be evaluated as to the cause of that resentment.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 12:31 pm
Young Cruiser

...well said, Dalite. That is exactly how I feel also....
Old 19 Jun 2003, 12:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Dalite

What you expect the dealer to do is take money out of his own pocket to satisfy you. The problem with that is leaves them in a position where they might have to put a sway bar on every 2003 they have sold. If Chrysler won't pay for it very few dealers would want to open that can of worms. I don't want to be harsh but my experience in dealing with Chrysler tells me your chances of getting what you want are slim and none and slim let town
Old 19 Jun 2003, 01:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I appreciate your insight. And you are right that Chrysler has refused to pay for the restoration of the missing item and has left the dealer holding the bag.

The first step of getting the Stabilizer Bar restored is getting the first refusal.

For a dealer that has sold (as an example) thirty 2003 PT Cruisers total, and only 3 customers have asked about the stabilizer bar, and out of those 3, one is a return customer, then it poses a situation in which the dealer has to do some soul searching. Looking at the percentages, keeping the 2 time buyer as a possible 3 time buyer would seem to bear more fruit than speculating on the other 2.

For a dealer who has sold hundreds of 2003 PT Cruisers, and who has personal knowledge that 75% of the owners meet on a regular basis with a local club/owner's group, it is like kissing your teddy bears goodnight; when you kiss one; you have to kiss them all. It is a judgement call, and I'm guessing the verdict would be to refuse to install, and explain the situation to the customer.

This puts the ball back in Chrysler's court. Then the Zone Rep, Customer and Service Department can sort it out over a period of time until all aspects of resolving the problem hav been explored. In some cases this has taken 7 months to have the Stabilizer Bar restored on a 2003, in some cases it was ordered the day the customer pointed out is was missing, and listed on the window sticker. It all boils down to how much time and effort the customer wants to spend pursuing the problem.

I can only guess that there is very little the dealer can do in retaliation, or to get Chrysler to take a second look at the issue. That puts the problem into the hands of the customer.

I doubt that we will get a resolution from Chrysler in the first generation of ownership. It is not in their past history to resolve issues that quickly. I was deeply surprised when they announced the recall on the 2002 fuel pump gasket; before it was the result of any injuries. Myself, many past Chrysler owners and various trade publications viewed this pre-emptive action as a possible turn-around in corporate policy. I guess Chrysler basked in that warm glow and after they got all the mileage they could milk out of it, went back to a more familar approach.

I think that even if Chrysler were to decide to provide it to the customers who ask for it, the overall cost of customer satisfaction would be less than they projected. If the truth be known, I doubt that 33% of 2003 owners know it is missing, and out of that maybe half would even pursue it after the first refusal.

As another possible suggestion, the customer could be asked to bear the cost of installation (Not to exceed $75.00) and Chrysler could provide the parts to the dealer. For Chrysler to continue to do nothing about this and other Customer Satisfaction hotspots puts them right back into the same place they were when the LH platform was being introduced. When they referred to the LH as "Last Hope" they weren't really making a joke. Figures and recent press releases indicate that they are back to the edge of the same abyss.

I am hoping that none will get in touch with slim and reconsider.

If I am unsuccessful in my attempts, at least I can say I tried. That is all that I could ever ask of anyone else, and one of the few things that I try to require of myself.
Closed Thread