Advertisements
should I

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jun 2003, 03:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default should I

1) should i start useing leather conditioner or protectant on my
03 pt or should i whait a comple of months ???

2) what should i use on the suede

3) should i wax it now or wait a couple of months ?

Old 22 Jun 2003, 05:29 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I don't use any leather conditioner but probably should. Recommend you wait a couple months before waxing new paint. Just my two cents.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 05:00 pm
Young Cruiser

WAX NOW Don't leave your paint unprotected!!!!!!!
GT Turbo Inferno Red Loaded, Chrome Grill, Billet Fuel Door,Blanes Hood Struts,Chrome side spears & shorty antenna, K&N, MGW chrome a/c knobs,lock pins,PT lighter, Eject power plug and GT plate frame, Weathertech Visors, PT MudFlaps,Alpine Stereo&Amps MB Quart & JLSub, BTG Intake, ShadowDot center console cover
Old 24 Jun 2003, 03:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Your paint is protected now. It has clear coat. Check the production date of your car. The paint is still gassing (drying out) for at least 3 months after production. You wax now and you trap those gasses.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 09:22 am
Dedicated Cruiser

"your car is already protected, it has clear coat" WRONG! the clear coat is less than 2mils thick, (a sheet of paper is 2.5)Clearcoat is a thin layer of non-pigmented paint, by design to offer uv protection. it is essential to protect the clear coat becuase the harsh elements and contaminents that fall on your finish is what starts to destroy the clear, which is your finish. The best form of protection is a paint sealant. I will post in my next detail tip to Jody what the difference is between wax/sealant. But the bottom line is you NEED to protect the finish. You don't get the deep, rich, mirror luster by just washing your car. My 1969 Benz which just won "best of show" had 6 layers of my paint sealant on it (yes it had clear coat) next, leather care> over time, without conditioning those little tiny lines that develope on your seats will start to crack if you don't replace the the oils in the leather. What happens is that the leather dries out, and will split, resulting in an expensive repair. The easy way to ensure lasting life and care is to condition all your leather a min of 3 times a year. More often if youlive in a humid area. I will be carrying leather conditioner and paint prep (cleaner) on my web site. it will be of the highest quality, and I will make sure it will be priced less than you could pay elsewhere. if you are interested, send me a message through my web site, when it comes in I will contact you, should be in end of the week. Oh, one more thing, paint technology now does NOT need to cure like the old days. It is BAKED in, wax/sealant can be applied as soon as you take delivery of your car. Gary
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 24 Jun 2003, 02:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

How thick is your wax or perfect shine?

Even baked goods have to cure..excuse me, cool.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 03:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The clear coat does protect the paint regardless of its thickness. In the real world, I've personally worked on cars that set out in the Texas sun for over a year with NO paint deterioration. They don't shine like 6 coats of whatever but they didn't shine like that fresh out of the bakery. If paint went to crap that quickly, then the auto industry's slow movers would be bad BEFORE they were sold!

I believe most PT's here are daily drivers, not trailer queens. While you may feel your PT is the best, prettiest,etc., it was built to handle driving, dirt,...yes even maybe acid-rain (Just not too much acid). I know there are exceptions to this good paint idea. There have been in the past and will continue to be, but that doesn't mean this isn't true for the majority of the bell curve.

Most of us over-whatever the paint. But that's emotion, not logic. Generally by Year Three, the love wears off and "whatever" becomes less frequent. By Year Five it's sold for a new love. I currently over-whatever my wife's PT but it not my great love. However I expect to still be owning it at Year Ten and the paint to still be good, but the plastic chrome should require replacement somewhere along the line.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 10:02 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Dear 2sb, First let me say that my own car is not detailed to perfection as you say/think, reason is I'm way too busy doing everyone else's cars. You are correct in that YOU don't have to protect, wax, seal you car if you chose to. That is your decision.(not mine) I'm in the business of car care. part of that is education. I would be hard pressed to think that anyone would agree with you that having a factoy clear coat is sufficiant protection. Although I have run into many people in my clinics not don't know about proper car, I suppose anything is possible. I'm not looking to go head to head with you, my focus is to tell, teach, help people to keep their car looking new. The clear NEEDS to be protected. Bottom line. I would encourage you to read my latest response on "headlight cleaning and care" posted by beebs top find out more about wax sealants. Have a nice day, Gary
Old 25 Jun 2003, 03:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You win OH TURBOgOD!! I didn't realize it's either YOUR way or we all go straight to hell.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 12:36 am
Dedicated Cruiser

You see 2sb, this is exactly the reason I was against doing a detailing forum, Because of your reponse. I was asked to supply helpful tips because I love my work, and I'am a professional. I knew this would happen the minute I started it. It's not MY way as you put it. It is only basic auto detailing 101. Several things irritate me, one is the lack of knowledge amoung poeple on car care. (which is why I stated the clinics) and two, I can't stand people getting ripped off for supplies and services. (which is why I start Perfect Auto Finish) So you see, everything I have implimented in my work evolves around helping poeple, I'm not in the business to argue. If I may I will qualify my knowledge and background to backup my comments. I have hosted 93 detailing clinics in one year. I'm currantly writing an article on detailing for the National Car Wash and Detailing Magazine, (this is a high honor in my business) I teach detailing at 3 junior colleges. I speak at car clubs. I'm the only authorized detailer allowed to enter Medinah Country Club, an elite golf club. I detail high profile athletes and business mens cars. My class has been on cable TV and the Chicago Tribune and Daily Herald all have endorsed my class and my work. I think I'm qualifed to talk about detailing. The only reason I'm doing this (it does't pay much) is because I LOVE my Cruiser, and the people here. Don't spoil it for those who want solid advice. No one is forcing you to wax your car. Gary
Closed Thread