PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cleaning question - bugs, tar, tree sap...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2003, 10:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cleaning question - bugs, tar, tree sap...

Hi all - Just picked up my new black GT last week. After looking over the forums here, I'm pretty psyched about starting to do some mods. First though, I'm looking for cleaning recommendations. In particular, how do you remove the inevitable bugs, road tar and tree sap? I noticed that after a week on the road that my car is completely covered with what looks like sap - not to mention the solid layer of bug juice on the front-end. I've read some things here about clay bar but am wondering if folks here use other products - like one of the many commercial "Bug and Tar" remover products first? Or, does the clay bar remove these contaminants also?
Old 27 Jun 2003, 12:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

The best thing you can use is Zaino. You have a dark color so you will get the best shine you have ever seen. Each coat the shine gets a little deeper. One side benefit is the bugs and go wipe right off with a damp cloth. It looks $$$ but it's really not because it goes a long way

http://www.zainobros.com
Old 27 Jun 2003, 03:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by traveller_63

I've read some things here about clay bar but am wondering if folks here use other products - like one of the many commercial "Bug and Tar" remover products first? Or, does the clay bar remove these contaminants also?
Generally, wash your car, then use a bug and tar remover, and if there are any spots left (like tree sap stains), use a clay bar to remove the rest of it and wash your car (at least the affected parts) again. You should be warned that if you use Zaino, or any wax (carnauba or synthetic), a bug and tar remover will/may also strip off any layers that you have. But it is sometimes necessary to get the surface clean and relatively pristine again. Then use/apply your favorite wax to protect the area.
Closed Thread