Advertisements
Rear end thunk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2003, 12:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear end thunk

Yo,
I know the answer to this is in the PTE archives, but I can't seem to access them right now
Going over small bumps, I hear/feel a substantial thunk/thump coming from the rear seating area. I seem to recall some PTE folks experiencing something similar and it turned out to be a bushing in the Watts linkage. Yes?? I have about 1500km left on my warranty, so I better get it taken care of asap.
BTW, when I grab the rear wheels and push or pull on them hard I can hear/feel something. I seem to recall this being a way to diagnose the problem. Just looking for confirmation on this.

Thanks.......Brad
Old 02 Jul 2003, 02:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you can grab the wheel at 6 and 12 and you feel just see/feel just the wheel move as you push/pull top and bottom, this is usually an indication of a bas bearing.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 09 Jul 2003, 02:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ya, so anyways, I took the car in for some other warranty work...mentioned the noise. They said they have had that problem in before. WAS the bellcrank(watts linkage)bushing. Mine is an '01 LTD, 60k km.

Cheers......Brad
Old 12 Jul 2003, 03:58 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Gary C

This is interesting. I have the same clunk sound coming from the rear end of my GT cruiser, but with only 12,000 miles on the odometer. Unfortunatly now there is also a lound CLUNK coming from the front seemingly every time I go over a bump, I get a clunk from the front end, then as soon as the rear tires go over i get a second clunk.
It's starting to annoy me. [V]
If I would have known my daily driver 'hot rod' was going to give me as much trouble (if not more) than my *real* hot rods I probably wouldn't have gotten one. [:I]
Old 12 Jul 2003, 05:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Gary, You have the lights flickering and a clunk from the front and rear....sound like you picked yourself a lemon. Hope you get it all straightened out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Jul 2003, 06:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Gary C

and it will be going back for the second throw out bearing in 10,000 miles. The first one was done under that recall they issued, and the second one only lasted ~5K before it started to happen *again*.
The funny part is the tech whom i spoke with said he's not suprised as I was (unfortunatly) one of the first and probably recived the same bad throw out bearing batch that was in there. [xx(]
OH well. That said I still love the car, I just *HOPE* they get it taken care of as it will be it's 4th trip in for transmission problems, and now the thunk up front and in rear.
On another random note i pulled my spark plugs today )after having the stealership check out the misfire and problem with idling. Sure enough they were gaped at .060!! [xx(]
I think I just may have a case of *bad* luck.