PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ARRRG..Help...anybody know about body work?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2003, 10:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default ARRRG..Help...anybody know about body work?

Well I have now messed up the last 3 cars I have owned backing into my garage. I had just unloaded some groceries from the back hatch and forgot to put the hatch down before I backed into the garage. It hit my surfboard hanging from the ceiling and pinned it against a wall above my car. Demolished that. I bent the bottom lip of the hatch down about 45 degrees and the whole hatch is askew. I had to pound down the lip[ with a dead blow hammer just to get the hatch to close again. I know that the bottom seam of anything is a hard area to get back in shape. Anyone have an idea how much a whole new hatch is or any other suggestions? (besides being more careful pulling into the garage). God I hate this.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 02:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Cal sorry to hear what happened....reminds me of over a year ago now when I managed to first break the glass on my wife's cruiser mirror then seven days later break the mirror off and damage the door of my own cruiser . All caused by wind blowing the gates as I backed into my driveway . Hopefully you could find a used hatch from a wrecked cruiser to keep the costs lower if yours can't be economically repaired . Good luck !
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 18 Jul 2003, 02:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

That's what full coverage insurance is for.

InfernoRed
Old 18 Jul 2003, 05:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well buying the new back door turned out to be only $325...The rest of the $1500 is to do the paint etc. They have to take out the side windows and trim & stuff to blend the paint right. At least 5 days in the shop. Guess I will be calling Mr. Insurance Company
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 21 Jul 2003, 09:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Terry
How much of the lip is bent? It is possible that the damaged hatch is repairable that is if you didn't finish it off with you're dead blow hammering.
If the damage is not to close to the sides of the hatch it's possible that blending the paint into the quarters wont be nessesary. Also I've done several Inferno red jobs and have had good luck matching the color without blending into the ajacent panel. Post a photo or e-mail it to me.
mike@trickcruiser.com
Old 23 Jul 2003, 04:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

The lip was bent down at 90 degrees and it seems the hinges are bent and the top of the hatch were they attach is bent. Easier just to replace the door it seems.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Closed Thread