PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
new paint finish care

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2003, 04:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Default new paint finish care

This is my second post and had my GT for 1 week. The built date is "Date of MFG 6-03" June of 2003, so I am assuming I should at least wait till sept. time to wax the GT when the paint is completely cured.

I have noticed very tiny specs of black dots on the paint that might need to be removed by clay bar. The silver paint/clear coat was flawless when I picked it up but not sure if if these specs were on before or after pick up last week.

My question is should I remove them now using clay bar without waxing yet or wait till Sept. time to remove them and wax at same time.

I am washing my GT every week thou, since I am getting lot of tree sap specs and other specs on the paint which comes right off after a wash. I also try to keep my baby in the garage when not in use.

Thanks,
Old 21 Jul 2003, 06:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

unfortunately we live in one of the worst climates for cars, due to out winters and summers. The only worse one i can think of is ocean side, ie. E or W coast Canada. I'd wax it in Sept. and then a nice THICK layer before winter, if you winter drive.
I'm a bit more worried about how the wheels are gonna hold up over the winter...chrome tends to get DESTROYED over the winter. It may be a good reason to buy nice aftermarkets in the spring though
Old 21 Jul 2003, 09:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

you should be able to wax anytime you wish, to the paint is baked on,[8] not air cured,have fun.

flames&stripes by \"gator\" 2003 milan dragway \"chrysler classic\" winner
Old 22 Jul 2003, 09:50 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Jay Force is correct, you should not wait an extra second top protect your car. Paint in todays world is Baked on, just like Jay F says. Curing time was needed 15 years ago for single stage paints, not anymore. I would use a sealant rather than a wax, the best wax under the best conditions will last 30 days. most people don't know that. a sealant will give you 5-6 months, the cost is about the same. Check out my web site for car care questions I answer personaly, and my paint sealant, that many members here have complimented me on. Gary www.perfectautofinish.com
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 22 Jul 2003, 11:33 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I have ordered (and recieved) some of turbomanGTs car care products. I decided to spend this past weekend detailing the cruiser. Washed the vehicle thoroughly first. Used the claybar and went over it again. It's amazing how much crap that the claybar took off. Dried the vehicle down w/microfiber towels. Applied the paint pre cleaner to sections at a time followed by the paint sealer (being sure to overlap w/the sealer). Used microfiber towels to remove the Cleaner & the sealer. I have washed and waxed any number of vehicles in my time and put in at least as much work, but I haven't ever gotten results that looked as good as these on the cruiser. The following day (Sunday) I decided to takle the leather seats and door panels. Using the cleaner suggested by Gary and the Leather conditioner that he sent me, the results were excellent. The seats look cleaner and brighter than they did when they were new. They are soft and pleasant to the touch and the leather fragrance is fantastic. I am extremely pleased w/his products as well as his advice on technique. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for professional products at a good price. Thats my two cents. [8D]

Alan
Old 22 Jul 2003, 01:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the info guys!

I will go over areas with clay bar to get rid of black specs or tiny dots sometime this weekend but I will fell better waxing or using sealent after couple of months later. Since my GT is not a daily driven and keep in the garage most of time and washed weekly, I don't think it will hurt it to do it later. I do believe now that the paint is baked on and no curing time is required as you suggest but I still choose to do it in couple of month to make me feel better.

torbomangt, this is how I have been doing it, tell me if this method is ok.

3 x precleaner then 3 x polish then 3 x wax. sometimes, sealent x 3 instead of polish. This was done ones a year and maybe little more on hood and truck area.

With my GT been new, I am thinking after I use clay bar, pre cleaner, sealent and wax on top.

I will look into your product. Thanks,
Old 22 Jul 2003, 06:34 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Sounds like you are on the right path, check my web site for more tips. remember swrils and scrathces are introduced to the finish when you don't prep the surface properly, mainly during washing/drying stage. Gary
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Closed Thread