PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brake Problems?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2003, 04:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Brake Problems?

Here is a question for anyone out there.
I have a 2002 Cruser, I replaced the brake pads less than 6 months ago. Today, I found out that with the back side of the pad had worn down to almost nothing, but the front side had only worn down half way. Has anyone out there had the same problem.
Also, have you found anyother brake pad suppliers other than raybestous, chrysler or bendex?

Thanks for any info!!!!!!
Old 25 Jul 2003, 09:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Uneven pad wear is a sign of dry slider pins.
Did you lube the caliper slider pins when the pads were changed?

It's not the pads fault if the caliper can't slide away from the rotor because the pins are sticking.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 12:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN WITH THE ORIGINAL BRAKES. HAD TO REPLACE THE ROTORS(DEALERSHIP DID THIS).30,000 LATER FOUND OUT THE NEW PADS HAD CRYSTALIZED, RUINING THE ROTORS AGAIN.REAR BRAKES WERE NOT ENGAGING AND THE FRONT ONES WERE STAYING ENGAGED. THE MECHANIC(NOT AT A DEALERSHIP)SAID THE PT'S HAVE A BAD PISTON DESIGN AND EVERY ONE THAT COMES IN HAS THE SAME PROBLEM EVERY 25-30 THOUSAND. SAID IT IS COVERED UNDER HIS WARRANTY. ANYONE ELSE HAVING BRAKE PROB'S?
Old 22 Sep 2003, 08:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just had the rear brakes re-done by the dealer. It's listed on the Chrysler "page of problems" and the dealer told me about a STAR program they have to deal with this specific brake problem on the cruisers. They replaced the rear pads, wheel cylinders, and turned the drums. They didn't touch the front brakes or even inspect them. There was the same brake dust as when I dropped the car off to them on the front wheels. Anybody could see there was no brake inspection for the front brakes.
Old 03 Oct 2003, 04:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

During the 30,000 mile inspection the dealer found that the front pads were worn out and the rotors had also worn down below minimum specs. The service manager told me that almost every PT Cruiser that needs a brake job has to have the rotors replaced. The parts department clerk told me that the rotors are non-turnable and they last about 20 to 30 thousand miles. I had never heard such thing. Can anyone tell me whether this is true, or whether my dealer is just taking me to the cleaners?

None of the cars I have owned have had a need to have the rotors repalced. If the abpve is true, it is a shame that Chrysler made such a fine vehicle and put such lousy brake system and/or brake parts in.
Closed Thread