PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2nd horn addition for '03 GT

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2003, 05:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 2nd horn addition for '03 GT

I plan to add the *missing* second factory horn to my 2003 GT. This is one of the 2 horns, that as I understand it, was included on 2002 and earlier models. The second horn apparently was left off the 2003's by Chrysler for cost reasons. It couldn't have been for sound level reasons - as '03 owners have noted, the single horn is so weak, that it cannot be heard by other motorists - especially on the freeway. I read on one of the PT forums that the missing horn is the "high note" horn. I called Wyckoff Chrysler parts dept to order it, but they can't tell which part number is the missing horn, or high note horn - they only have the 2 part numbers.

Does anyone know the part number for the horn missing from the 2003's? This will save me, and others, from having to find the part number on the horn that is on the car. Thanks, John
Old 25 Jul 2003, 06:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Horn - High Note - Part # 4671747-AB

You will also need a Metric M6-20 (6mm X 20) bolt to put it on with. A self-tapping, flanged one would be a plus. If you have to go with a standard (non self-tapping) take the bolt out of the existing horn bracket, and use it to thread the hole that is there for the second horn (not threaded). It is a plastic mounting area, and it will thread easily. Then, you can use the standard bolt. If your dealer can't provide the bolt without a part number, go to a motorcysle shop. They have been dealing with metric threads for a long time...

The location is there in plain sight once you remove the right front fender well cover. (Three 7mm head (3mm) machine screws. The connector is taped to the harness; just remove the tape, and plug it into the new horn.

I turned the wheels all the way left to remove the screws on the inner fender cover, then turned them all the wat right to install the horn.

Hope this helps.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 07:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Dalite - I just ordered it from my local dealer. Thank you very much. It's about $25.

Sorry to bother you further, but I want to make sure that I'm clear on how/where one accesses the horn location. In regards to the three machine screws that you reference on the "right fender well cover" - are these the screws along the fender lip which attach what I call the inner fender? If so, does one just pry the inner fender "open" to gain access? Or, are you completely removing the "fender well cover"? If so, that doesn't seem to be the same thing as the entire inner fender. I have looked in the fender well and I noticed what appears to be an access panel just in front of the wheel on the inner fender - that panel appears to snap into place with tabs - I didn't see any screws - so I assume that's not the proper access location. Thanks again for making this easy for me! John
Old 25 Jul 2003, 10:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

They are the 3 screws on the fender lip. Just remove the 3 screws, and you will be able to pull the fender inner cover away and wedge it behind the wheel when you turn the wheen to the right.

The access panel is for replacing the headlight bulbs - I think....
Old 29 Jul 2003, 12:03 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

JohnM:

Good decision--you will not believe what a difference adding that "missing" second high-note horn ($33 part) makes to increase loudness. IMHO, the stock horn on the 2003 PTC models (single low-note) cannot be heard under normal driving conditions.

Old 29 Jul 2003, 12:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i would like to put in that horn also if i ever get my car back[:I]
Old 29 Jul 2003, 11:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I want to put in a big ole air horn.... hehehe.
2003 Cranberry GT. Turbosmart manual boost controller and blow off valve, Autometer boost guage, custom cold air intake, APC carbon Fiber Euro Taillights, Street Glow purple under car neon, purple grill neon.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 09:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have a 2003 GT built second week of march. It does not have the harness for second horn. It is only wired for one horn. So now I only have the high note installed. Check behind light on pass side before you order part.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 09:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Not only was DC silly to delete the second horn, changing the wiring harness to eliminate the connection fo second horn is really self defeating. I know that it probably saved them several cents on each car but now they will lose the sales of the second horn for those with the "revised" wiring harness. I paid DC about $30 for the second horn. If mine had not had the wiring harness for it, I would have gone aftermarket for a louder replacement horn.

Bean Counters!!!!![xx(]

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 11:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

And the dealer would not take back the horn because it was special ordered or I would have gone aftermarket as well