Advertisements
I'm considering becoming a slave to a PT

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2003, 08:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default I'm considering becoming a slave to a PT

Hello all,

My hubby & I are beginning the early stages of deciding on whether or not to buy a PT. Right now our main motivation is my love for PT's, starting when I saw one at a car show before they were even out. We would really appreciate any and all comments (positive or negative) from those of you that already drive a PT. What are the advantages or disadvantages (are there any??). We don't have a problem buying for emotional reasons, but want our eyes to be open too.

Thanks in advance for the help []

Tracy & Alan
Old 25 Jul 2003, 09:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

You didn't mention which Cruiser your getting. I have the GT and love it. The two biggest complaints I have read on forums is the poor turning radius (it does take a little getting used to ) and the bad gas milage, at least on the GT, but I don't really care. The Cruisers are fun. Plently of room on the inside also. I think you will enjoy it big time.[?]
Old 25 Jul 2003, 09:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If you are not looking for the performance of the GT (turbo-charged), the best build level was achieved on the 2002 models. The Touring Edition comes stock with a more performance oriented suspension, and could be ordered with options right up to the build level of the Limited Edition.

If you do go for the 2003 model, you will give up:

-One of the two horns that were on the 2002
-Fold-away outside rearview mirrors that were on the 2002
-Heated outside rearview mirrors that were on the 2002
-Illumination in the rear window switches that was on the 2002
-Deadman's Pedal (foot rest pad) on far left of pedals.
-Some seldom seen protective plastic on the inboard sides of the front seats that was on the 2002
-Driver's Front seat height adjustment.
-Rear Sway Bar that was on the 2002
-Vibration limiting tubing that was on the 2002 Hood Prop Rod

I traded in my '02 Touring Edition for the 2003 GT. I gave up the above features, plus a sunroof in the trade. I was offered from $7,000.00 to $9000.00 for my 2002 with 15k miles, in perfect condition, with 7 year 100K extended warranty.

Based on the large number of trade-ins out there in the used car market - Due to the low interest rates on new car purchases; it should be a buyer's market on used units. If they are selling proportional to the trade-in price, you should be able to save $10K off the price of a new one and still get a car with well under 20K miles, and 6 years/ 50K miles left on the standard warranty.

However, if you opt for the performance of the GT, get ready for the sacrifices. If you never had a 2002, you won't miss the deleted items.... Plus the extra "juice" the GT has makes it a blast to drive.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 10:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Ditto the above. Go ahead and Cruise on in!
Old 26 Jul 2003, 12:01 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:...However, if you opt for the performance of the GT, get ready for the sacrifices. If you never had a 2002, you won't miss the deleted items.... Plus the extra "juice" the GT has makes it a blast to drive...
...and, to the forum.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 02:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

which one do you or would u miss the most giveing up on this list ?? you will give up:

-One of the two horns that were on the 2002
-Fold-away outside rearview mirrors that were on the 2002
-Heated outside rearview mirrors that were on the 2002
-Illumination in the rear window switches that was on the 2002
-Deadman's Pedal (foot rest pad) on far left of pedals.
-Some seldom seen protective plastic on the inboard sides of the front seats that was on the 2002
-Driver's Front seat height adjustment.
-Rear Sway Bar that was on the 2002
-Vibration limiting tubing that was on the 2002 Hood Prop Rod

Old 26 Jul 2003, 04:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the warm welcomes

Bigdogdad: We haven't even gotten to the stage of deciding what model of PT we want as we're still deciding if it's a PT the we'll get.

Dalite: Thank you for such an awesome amount of info, that really gave us alot more to go on. Unless we're offered an incredible brand new car deal, I think we're both leaning towards a nice slightly used PT. I haven't test driven any of them yet (although my hubby has) because I know that I'll want to take it home right then, no matter the cost, color, etc. lol!

Thank you everyone else for your "dittos" and/or welcomes! I'd love to hear any other opinions, thoughts, advice, etc.

Thanks! Tracy & Alan

Old 26 Jul 2003, 11:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome !! to a great board and hope you get a pt , i think there great my wife has a 2002 pt and i have a 2003 gt turbo, both have tons of room,even with two kids in the car with us we brought home 36" t.v.surround system, stand for the t.v,a vcr for my daughters, room im not saying it wasn't tight be we did it !! the people at the store stood out front and could believe we had all that in the car with my wife and myself and the two kids and all the doors shut !! good luck in your search for a pt !![?]
Old 27 Jul 2003, 02:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just to ad my two cents: after wanting a PT since the first day I saw one, I finally decided it had to be this summer. Thanks to this forum and other sources, I decided that I wanted an '02 Touring for the same reasons mentioned by Dalite... great features and nearly-new ones offered at a bargain price. I spent three months searching for a truly mint '02 at a bargain price and finally found one 150 miles away via internet listings. The bargain price made it well worth the trip, and the drive home was a ball! These are versatile, practical cars, as well as being great-looking and fun. So, if you don't need to go Turbo, I'd say try the slightly-used market. There are some great deals out there if you hunt a little. Try Autotrader.com or Cars.com, or some of the others to give you an idea of what's available in your area. Good luck!
Old 27 Jul 2003, 08:37 am
Senior Cruiser

I went from a new 2002 Dream Cruiser to a new 2003 Dream Cruiser (turbo) in less than two months after my accident and even though I gave up those options (although mine does have power Driver's Side Seat Height Adjustment) I think the GT is definitely worth the extra money and the sacrafice of the above listed items.Going from 150HP to 215 is a great thing and wether you are into speed or not, it will make resale much easier down the road.When I bought my 2002 Dream Cruiser, I almost got a GT.I was quoted $19,500 for a new GT with a 5-speed and otherwise stripped, which was a great deal, but then I found a dealer on March 22nd of this year that still had 3 2002 Dream Cruisers sitting there.The sticker price was $24,700, but I got mine for $17000.That was their first offer.They really wanted to clear them out, so I couldn't pass it up.
If I were buying a new one now, I would go with a slightly used one.You see them all over eBay, and I am sure Autotrader.com too.
I too dislike the wide turning radius, and of course the gas mileage, but as far as that goes, you gotta pay if you wanna play.It really isn't much worse actually on long drives if you stay out of the throttle.I also enjoy the dark interior much more on the 2003 versus the 2002 I had.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Closed Thread