Advertisements
want to hear exhaust systems

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jul 2003, 12:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to secretspy
Default want to hear exhaust systems

Anyone live in either the Louisville KY area or West Lafayette IN area with an aftermarket exhaust for their cruiser? I'm mainly considering buying Borla, BTG, or Flowmaster, and I would like to hear one in action. Doesn't necessarily have to be one of those brands. Or maybe you know someone and could point me in the right direction......I want to know what this "drone" sounds like, if there is one.....Does it sound at all similar to the hum of the engine if you remove the air silencers and stomp on the gas at about 3000rpm? thanks.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 12:35 am
Dedicated Cruiser

BTG,!!!!!!!!!!!!! COME TO CHICAGO AND LISTEN TO IT! IT ROCKS[?]
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 31 Jul 2003, 12:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

TurbomanGT,
I am concerned with it being too loud...I want louder than stock but not obnoxious.....what do you think? Chicago is a little far for me Take a look at this post, towards the bottom, by "madgray" about his experience with BTG: http://www.ptforums.com/zerothread?id=932
Old 31 Jul 2003, 07:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by secretspy

TurbomanGT,
I am concerned with it being too loud...I want louder than stock but not obnoxious.....what do you think? Chicago is a little far for me Take a look at this post, towards the bottom, by "madgray" about his experience with BTG: http://www.ptforums.com/zerothread?id=932
All the exhaust systems have a nice sound OUTSIDE of the car. Some are louder than others. It's when you reach the 3,000+rpm range is where a lot of people complain about the hum or drone INSIDE the PT. If you have a 2002+ PT model the gearing is higher so at 65-70mph (about 2,800 rpm), you won't hear any drone with the aftermarket systems you mentioned. The 2001's, I believe, rev at 3,200 rpm at 65-70mph, which is right in the drone range. The stock muffler/exhaust system is relatively quiet inside the PT throughout the rpm range.

Listening and looking at the different exhaust systems at a greet and meet is always recommended but you really need to take the PT on the freeway or highway with that system to 3,000+rpm to see if the drone or hum is acceptable to you. It is the main reason I bought a European exhaust system (MS-Design/Remus) instead of a Borla, Bassini, BTG, Scottsdale, etc. (I work at nites and do a lot of freeway driving, so a loud system or one that drones isn't an option and the european systems fit the bill). I've seen some that extended the exhaust tips to the edge of or past the rear bumper, while others added or changed mufflers/resonators/expansion chambers to a quieter design to eliminate the drone or at least made it acceptable.

The hum or drone noise, to me, sounds like a freezer motor that is always on and your ears are right by it. Took my buddies 2001 PT (Borla system) to Vegas once and I swear we stopped more often because of the drone. It was either go 55mph or 90+mph, anything in between was a killer for any length of time.

Everybody is different and so are the acceptable db levels or hum tolerances. You just have to find a system that meets your needs.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 02:37 pm
Young Cruiser

...I have the BTG duals on a '03 turbo and i really don't think anything compares. If this is too loud you better keep what you got. I build hot-rods everyday and this is the sound the PT needs, not that soprano-tinny-ricey sound....never droans or vibrates, just right and the quality is a '10'. Just remember to tell them you want the tuned tips with inserts for a non-asperated engine if you don't have a turbo or supercharger....
Old 31 Jul 2003, 03:57 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:...I want louder than stock but not obnoxious...
You should consider the Magnaflow Performance Exhaust System speciafically designed for the PT Cruiser--it has both a straight-through polished SS muffler as well as a resonator (to keep down noise inside the cabin): http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/c...s/chrysler.htm

PT-Tuning http://www.pt-tuning.com/performance...ackSingle.html makes a "drop-in" straight-through muffler for $225.95--"Features T-304 Aircraft Quality Stainless Steel 2-1/4" Mandrel-bent Tubing, TIG Welded polished Muffler Body with Polished Inter-cooled Tip, Easy Bolt-on Installation using factory mounting locations, Ground Strap Lug on Muffler. This PERFORMANCE system has a deep sporty sound in the turbo application -- not too loud...Now – Specially tuned for the 2003 GT Turbo! (Still works great with non-turbo, too!)" It is my understanding this is definitely louder when installed on non-turbo models. "For the non-turbo, it is LOUD! If you find that the noise level is just too much, the additional components of the complete Cat/back system can be ordered at a later time for the difference in cost of the two systems, plus the additional shipping cost."

Just another consideration. Good luck.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 09:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Heh heh. well I was hoping to narrow my list. Looks like Magnaflow just got added to the list of candidates. Gary03GT, I was planning on getting a whole cat/back system anyway....how loud will it be? (kind of a subjective question isnt it?) Also, can you put different tips on the Magnaflow system, or possibly get it in duals?

SciFi, I have a 2002 cruiser, you're saying that if I get a Borla that I won't get that drone?

I have heard that BTG is loud. It sounds like the way to go according to many many people....argh, i want to hear these things...Borla and Flowmaster (to me) are the "trusted" exhaust systems....I hadn't even heard of BTG before about a month ago...

So I'm mainly looking at Borla, Magnaflow, Flowmaster or BTG. Haven't heard much AT ALL about the Flowmaster, so that one is starting to fade from my list. As for the others, none really stand out as the clear winner yet. I know it's not "yall's" job, but I need to be convinced that one is better than the others. Ready go.

[]
Old 31 Jul 2003, 09:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by secretspy

Anyone live in either the Louisville KY area or West Lafayette IN area with an aftermarket exhaust for their cruiser? I'm mainly considering buying Borla, BTG, or Flowmaster, and I would like to hear one in action. Doesn't necessarily have to be one of those brands. Or maybe you know someone and could point me in the right direction......I want to know what this "drone" sounds like, if there is one.....Does it sound at all similar to the hum of the engine if you remove the air silencers and stomp on the gas at about 3000rpm? thanks.
Go to Flowmasters Web Site. They have sounds for the PT System. There
recommended system for the PT and the one with sound is the 50 Magnaflow Duel Exhaust System. I put the 40 Standard Series muffler only, (OEM pipes) on my GT and if you like loud, then loud is what you will get. [?]

\'03 GT Inferno Red AutoStick - Stage 1 - Air Box Mods & K&N Filter - AMX Intake Down Pipe - Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust - Magnacor 8.5mm Ignition Wires - Pin Stripping - Chrome Side Spears - Chrome Tail Light Covers - Chrome Fuel Door - E&G Custom Grill - Painted Rear Mud Guards - 3-D Liquid Flames - Chrome/Red Neon Washer Nozzles - Interior Neon
Old 31 Jul 2003, 10:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

http://www.pro-max.com/FMATES.htm

This Flowmaster site claims average hp increases of 20-25 horsepower! That seems like a tall tale.....Would getting the entire cat-back exhaust (not just the muffler) make it a bit quieter?
Old 31 Jul 2003, 10:32 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Spy, I was unsure just as you prior to buying the BTG> I was ready to buy the Borla system, but then I ran into someone that had it, and to me it was just a quiet as the stock system. So why spend the $$$. Finally, someone from this board, e mailed me and said he looked into just about eveery system out there. Asked the right questions, and went with the BTG. I will tell you I LOVE THE SYSTEM. Loud? I was more concerned with it being too soft. The sound is low and deep. Nothing like these imports you see with the big round pipe (that kind of noise is irritating to me) this sounds perfect to my ears. Others posted they did not like it. Loud, is subjective to the owner. I will tell you this, if you run the gears through at low RPM's, and keep the rev under 3000, it sounds like any other PT. But when you get on it? WOW baby, move over , Hear I come. I'm worried about getting the stage 1 kit, because they tell me it will be even louder still. p.s. My wife can;'t stand it, go figure? Gary
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Closed Thread