PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Surface Scratches

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2003, 10:06 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Surface Scratches

A few poeple have asked me to post something about scratches. That happens to be the number one question I get asked when people bring me their car to detail. "Can you get these scratches out?" Scratches can't be touch up like a chip, they require more care and expertise. If you look at a scratch, and it is deep enough that it has cut through the clear coat, the best you can hope for is improvement, not perfection. When I look at a scratch with a customer, I talk in terms of percentages of improvement not elimination. Sadly (this is not what you want to hear) most serious scratches can only be improved with a high speed rotary buffer. Only someone with experience with this tool should perform this job. Using my theory of always thinking "less is best" lets assume you have a minor scratch, their are some things you can do yourself. First, lets think about what it is we are doing. We want to even or smooth out the surface surrounding the scratch, making the outer walls of it less reflective. By doing this, you will get less of the light reflection making it less obvious to the eye. To accomplish this clean the car as you normally would. I would start with a paint cleaner, like the one I sell on my web site, it has a mildly aggressive cleaner that will smooth down the walls or sides of the scratch, like we are trying to achieve. Work the cleaner back and forth using mild to heavy pressure with a foam or terri pad. Remove with a mico fiber towel. That should improve it. If the scratch is deeper, then you should take it to a professional detail shop (make sure its not one with a commercial car wash next door, many times they hire kids with no experience on using a high spped buffer, in the wrongs hands it can destroy your finish) Hope that helps, for more info on car care visit my web site> www.perfectautofinish.com Gary
Closed Thread